Algea also taking over

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by PhilOos, 17 Dec 2011.

1. PhilOos

PhilOos

Hi guys,

We moved house about three months ago, but since then the algae in my tank started to take over. I've tried feeding my fish less frequent, I've changed the T5 bulbs,
    I brush the rocks on a regular basis, but to no avail.
    My water quality is as follows:
    PH - 8.0 (busy to raise it with eight.four aquavitro )
    Alkalinity - 6.1
    Calcium - 490
    Magnesium - 1470
    Nitrate - 10
    Phosphate - 0.03
    Salinity 1,029

How do I go about to restore the water and get rid of the algea? Please help...[​IMG]

Below are some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Alk little bit low...although I keep mine at 7.9dKH
    Nitrate is high...
    Salt you should lower down to 1.025-1.026
    What to test for and why - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

4. Marine1

Marine1

Salinity down, mine got to that due to Profilux setting and the same happened to me

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Your salinity is too high (assuming its measured accurately) but that would not cause the algae. Bring it down to 1.025. What is the TDS of your RO water. How often are you doing waterchanges?

6. erratiC

erratiC

What Marius is asking about the TDS of your water is spot on Phil - I was getting mine from a LFS in Durban who hadn't changed their RO membranes/filters in a f'ing long time causing a massive reading in TDS. Naturally I assumed that because it came from a LFS it would be fine - pfffft! I'm still having algae issues because of it.

Only now after purchasing a RO machine from The Waterboy is my algae starting to recede.

Also, what's the temp of your water at most of the time? Shit happens when it gets too high or too low...

7. Sheena

Sheena

i had a algae problem till i got a bristletooth tang, it ate all algae in a matter of days

8. belindamotion

Remember the Tang will need additional marine-based seaweed and algae...

Sorry..not sure which Tang you have...:blush:
    Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Bristletooth Tomini Tang
    Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Orange Stripe Bristletooth Tang, Ctenochaetus cf. striatus
    Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Spotted Bristletooth Tang, Ctenochaetus truncatus
    Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Two Spot Bristletooth Tang

@Sheena Sorry for "loading" info on you...not sure if you are new to Marine's in general or just new to MASA...:blush:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. PhilOos

PhilOos Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advise. Reading through all the replies, I've concluded that the source of my top-up water might be the problem...it's a natural spring in the corner of my yard.
    So then how save are the RO filters that one can install in the kitchen?

10. erratiC

erratiC

The best thing to do would be to take a couple of empty containers to your LFS every now and then and get some RO from them until you have saved up the cash for your own RO machine. Get one from The Waterboy, one of our sponsors - he's very reasonably priced as well.

In the long run it's cheaper getting your own RO machine cos it saves you the time of going to your LFS, the cash you spend for the RO and obviously the petrol getting there. Also, the waste water that comes from the RO machine is as perfectly healthy as bottled water you buy at the shops and it'll make your inmates happier as well ;)

Good luck! :thumbup:

11. belindamotion

Read Post #10...there is a difference between RO for the house and Marine RO..(if that is what you are refering to with "install in the kitchen..:blush:"
    diffrence between drinking Ro and Marine RO water - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Getting RO water from a LFS is not to pricey...might be for the larger Tanks...in the long run...I pay R10 for 25L..I use about 4 to 5 a month...not to bad on my little Nano..I can live with it...

12. Sheena

Sheena

yes very new at this:), i have my tank now for about 6weeks, have a dottyback, 2 clowns, goby, shrimp,cleaner wrasse and a bristletooth tang,2 hermit crabs with live rock and corals all doing great no deaths up until my powder blue i got last week didnt see ich on him at shop but saw when i got home he was so happy in my tank but after 3days i couldnt help but think he might make all my fish sick so i the bucket treatment but stress was too much and he died very very sad, should have left him in tank and waited it out!

13. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

@Sheena - why not start a thread telling us a bit about your tank?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. Sheena

Sheena

when i figure out how to do that i will and ill send pics:thumbup:

15. belindamotion

Yes...please open a Thread in the Members set-up....
    Members Systems and Setups - Marine Aquariums of South Africa just start one under you'r size Tank...:)

Do you know what the Salinity of the LFS was...? Many have it at 1.022 some even slightly lower...especially the Fish only Tanks....if you'r Tank is at 1.025...that could be the cause of the passing of you'r Fish...if there is no other apparent reason...do not take that as gospel...so many things can contribute..
    ALWAYS check LFS salinity - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Remember...you can lower Salinity fast, but you can't rise salinity fast...

Last edited: 18 Dec 2011
  16. Sheena

Sheena

yes 1025, the thing is he was happy and healthy swimming around in my tank and few days later i thought ok im going to catch him and cure him in a bucket he didnt last very long in the bucket so it was my mistake

17. PhilOos

PhilOos Thread Starter

Cool stuffs,
    I got a RO filter from the local marine shop.
    I also got this spotted tang...hope he has an appetite for algae

[​IMG]

18. belindamotion

If this Link is the one you got, then you will probably only keep one...bare in mind my knowledge of Tangs is scary..:whistling:..so find out first as I KNOW guys keep more than one in a Tank...unless it's only certain Tangs..
    Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Spotted Bristletooth Tang, Ctenochaetus truncatus

PhilOos likes this.
  19. PhilOos

PhilOos Thread Starter

Thanx for the advice on the tangs.
    How long do I have to wait before the algae start to disappear?

20. Sheena

Sheena

my tang took 3 days to eat all the algae in my tank, with yours probably take a few weeks as your algae problem is abit worse than mine. im no pro im just a beginner but this is what iv found to work.

21. belindamotion

You'r algae won't just go away overnight...it's a process you have to go thru...you bought the RO Filter...now get a decent Salt and make some RO water and make a nice batch of Saltwater and do a..say 50% water change...then maybe a few days later do another 25%...then at the same time get Additives...this is what I use...think you use it too...?
    aquavitroâ„¢ Products and start bringing you'r parameters up...and get decent Test Kits and test weekly..if need be...I use these...not to pricey and work well for me...get them at most LFS..for now you must test as you do the water changes as you need to see if you are getter you'r water parameters to the correct levels...not sure what Kits you use..
    Salifert Test Kits - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at Nextag - Price - Review
    Please do not look at you'r Tang as the "answer to all you'r Algae problems" as I'm afraid then you'r in for a rude awakening..you can have Cyano..Hair Algae...Red Slime Algae..etc..Tang is not going to eat all that...although it "Algae"...it's different types of Algae...personally, a person should never introduce Livestock for the purpose of sorting out a problem in a Tank...it sorts out the "problem" but not the "cause"...and many forget that when the problem is gone, the Fish has nothing to eat...

PS:...you will need an Experience Reefers opinion here as I don't know Tangs, but from you'r Pictures it looks like Cyano to me and you got a Tang for you'r "Algae" problem..to my knowledge Tang's eat Hair Algae and not Cyano Algae..unless you brushed all the Hair Algae off and I don't see it...?
    You might want to have a look at the Mexican Turbo Snail...
    Mexican turbo snail – Turbo fluctuosa

What Clean up Crew do you have...? Maybe add more of them...? I can't find on you'r Thread what you'r CUC is...you'r Tank has been running for a while now...any algae problems before the move...?

Last edited: 20 Dec 2011
Recent Posts