Algae

Reaction score
Cant seem to get rid of this red runny algae on my substrate all of a sudden- any advice?

5ee51a0f0da180d923799c64f55b09cc.jpg

Looks like cyano, po4 amd no3 readings? Whats the flow like? Any temp swings? If you swish your gravel is there sediment?

Nitrate low, phos undetectable, not much sediment in substrate. Running a RW15 for flow on max flow and 2500lph return pump.

Nitrate low, phos undetectable, not much sediment in substrate. Running a RW15 for flow on max flow and 2500lph return pump.
value of nitrate? when you say not much its still enough for cyano

Temp fluctuates by most about 0.6 deg
not bad at all

if you brush it off how long before it grows back?

That's not cyano
I've had it before. It only seemed to grow in my sump so id assume its light and flow related

I have quad 55w t5 lighting open to the water cos i modified an odyssey setup and the reflector and bulbs are open to he evap in a closed hood..potential issues?

Its busy smothering a zoa colony. Strange that its only on the one side of the tank and also only on substrate. Im thinking of just removing substrate that its on..thoughts?

i hv a couple turbos in my tank but they dont seem to be interested in it? What herbivorous crab options are there? On that note i have minimal cuc as they slowly disappeared. Zero crabs now and about 2 turbos and another snail that eats everything- forgor name now...

So I went away for 2 weeks and what was initially a small problem has become a massive problem.
I have replaced white T5 bulbs, altered flow in tank, gotten 2 mexican turbos and a diamond back goby and have increased water changes. Turbos eating the algae but not as fast as it is growing. I want to manually remove but every time i disturb it it lands up somewhere else in the tank :(
Nitrates are very low and phos is undetectable-probably being taken up by this nuisance. Im running phosphat stop by ant and matrix in 2 reactors as well as biocubes. I have kh on a doser and manually dose calc and mg. Any help would be really appreciated - im losing this battle

cotton algae.jpg

Back
Top Bottom