Algae?

Reaction score
What is this and how do I get rid of it?
There are also a brownish layer on the substrate. It is better if I direct the powerheads to flow over the substrate, but that moves the substrate around.
Phosphates is 0.
Nitrades is 25 ppm.

7034836dda23928f.jpg

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like cyano bacteria from the pic, or diatoms from the description, either way it is sown to "new tank syndrome" and should clear up on it's own, but work on the nitrates and keep the phosphate at zero, as this will help.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Take Weeman's advice and work on nitrates - "dilution is the solution to polution" as Anthony Calfo would say, which is so true. Also check that you have adequate flow, helps to minimize nuisance algae build up. DON'T blow it away with a powerhead, you're only spreading the bacteria, rather suck/vacuum/siphon it out of the tank. :wave2:

Reaction score
shit, this must be in the weather, because everybody is getting cyano.

Bring kh up to 11, reduce phos ,reduce nitrate, more flow, more oxygen in tank and reduce lighting to 5 hours a day,use ro water with tds of 0

Reaction score

Bring kh up to 11, reduce phos ,reduce nitrate, more flow, more oxygen in tank and reduce lighting to 5 hours a day,use ro water with tds of 0
Lanzo you learning, China :thumbup1:

Reaction score
Take Weeman's advice and work on nitrates - "dilution is the solution to polution" as Anthony Calfo would say, which is so true. Also check that you have adequate flow, helps to minimize nuisance algae build up. DON'T blow it away with a powerhead, you're only spreading the bacteria, rather suck/vacuum/siphon it out of the tank. :wave2:
I did blow it away and now it is everywhere.
I will try to siphon some of the worst ones out. Thanks.

Reaction score

How do you get the kh up and down again?
How do I get more oxygen in the tank?
I use ro water, but what is tds?

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
How do you get the kh up and down again?
How do I get more oxygen in the tank?
I use ro water, but what is tds?

1)You can raise the kH with kH buffer you buy or with bicarbonate of soda mixed in RO water. One teaspoon in 250ml(if I'm correct). Whatever you use, raise it slowly!
2)Good surface movement puts more oxygen in water.
3)Total Desolved Solids, you measure it with a TDS meter - about R300.:wave2:

Reaction score
cyano lives off it's own dead cells,so by blowing it around won't kill it.
bring kh up with bicarb soda,do it slowly and keep an eye on ph and alk,add a tsp every 6 hours.
TDS, you can bring a sample of your ro water to me,i'll check it for you(bring the crab if you come)

maybe something is in this damn water in pta and centurion that the ro unit cant get rid off, this cyano is a real pain in the ass!