Algae

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Hawkvr, 10 May 2010.

1. Hawkvr

Hawkvr

I have a 450 litre tank. I only have 1 clown fish, 1 yellow tailed damsel a cleaner shrimp and diamond goby and a turbo snail. Lighting is 2 x 54 watt floresants. My water quality is perfect. No nitrates or ammonia. Can you tell me why i am getting such a lot of algae build up and what algae is it ? You can see the algae growing on the gravel as well as the glass. Its very whispy and can get pretty long. I have put pics of my tank setup below the algae pics. They are from when i first set up so you can see how clean it was then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. neo

neo

my2c....
    Your nitrates might seem to be at zero but only because the alg is using it up, try using a syringe and get some water directly above the alg and then test again.
    Check phosphate as well, get some flow over that back pane.

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

how long is your tank running?

5. Hawkvr

Hawkvr Thread Starter

My tank has been running for about a year and a half now. Would it make a difference if i did not clean my skimmer out that often? It does not fill up but i thought i should maybe clean it more often and that might help as well. Just a thought. I clean it every 2 weeks about

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Also would like to know how long the tank's been running as well as what water did you use to fill up?
    What do you feed and how much?

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Ooops, posted the same time :p

8. butcherman

what water tests do you do? how much and how often do you do water changes? how much and how often do you feed?
    how much flow do you have in the tank also?

9. Hawkvr

Hawkvr Thread Starter

I use RO water to top up. I check nitrates, nitrites, amonnia. I feed a few pellets everynight like a pinch only and 3 pipettes of liquid food every second night. Don't do water changes too often. I dont think i have much of a load. Do about every 2t o 3 months and i do 100 litres at a time.

For flow i have just added another power head so that makes 3 one of which is a double head, roughly i would say 7000-8000 L/per hour flow. If i remember the specs on the heads correctly.

Forgot to say I have a tube worm, but he has shrivelled up he is a third of the size he used to be. And the mushroom rock.

Is my lighting adequate? I also plan on adding more live rock but its just very pricy at R170 per kilo

10. butcherman

what lighting do you have 2 x T5 and what colour?

11. Hawkvr

Hawkvr Thread Starter

1 x actinic and 1 x 10000k or 12000k can't remember which now :p

12. butcherman

you could definalty look at increasing the number of lights how long are the lights on for?

13. Hawkvr

Hawkvr Thread Starter

10000k is from 10 am to 11pm- 13 hours
    actinic from 3pm to 12 pm- 9 hours

14. butcherman

im no expert but i think that the antic should be on longer than the 10000k and the 10000k should be on for a few hours less. but maybe someone else can confirm this maybe this is the cause of the algae, or at very least is help it grow

15. vatso

vatso

the pics are not of the same tank & or of the same time - the top pics have a blue back ground & the pump is in a different place to the bottom pic?

16. Hawkvr

Hawkvr Thread Starter

No the pics are different times. And i have added new powerheads and moved them around to get better flow. The pic of the tank when it was newly setup is just so you can see the setup and size.

17. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Algae thrives on high nutrients, so I don't think your water parameters are perfect as you say. I think the liquid food is the culprit here, you are feeding it way to much. In my opinion most of these liquid coral foods is polution in a bottle.
    What test kits are you using?
    Did you double check with another test kit?
    Are you current test kits not expired?

I would also advise you to do more frequent water changes, 10-15% per week, especially now that you sit with algae. You can also shorten the light cycle, 13 hours a day is too much and the algae loves it.

18. Hawkvr

Hawkvr Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I think you might be right with the liquid food being the problem. When the algae started growing i kind of left it as i just wanted something to start growing :) also i had 2 snails that died and i thought it might be lack of food then. Now that the algae is fine and another snail died even though it lasted 6 months i was sure it was not for lack of food. I am going to cut down on the light and the food. My test kits are fine and my water has been fine since before the algae. I have been trying to be patient and just let the tank mature in its own time and i have learnt a lot so far. Thanks for the help i will post again with some pics once i have it right i think i have enough of an idea now.

Where can we get live rock for a good price in JHB ?

19. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I would say to stop feeding that liquid food completely, not just cut down. Regarding the water parameters, what is fine? What are the actuall readings?

Recent Posts