Algae turf scrubbers

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by lappiesreef, 22 Feb 2008.

1. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

Hi All :wave2:

Does anyone run algae turf scrubbers?

Any ideas on how to DIY one and which algae's to go for?

From what i've read it seems like a good option to add together with a DSB and fuge.
    They may also be helpfull in removing toxins produced by the corals and inverts.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Are you talking about macro algae ?

If so chaetomorpha is the popular one. I run my algae in the sump with DSB

4. lappiesreef

lappiesreef Thread Starter

Hi Warr

I thought the scrubbers used algae like that, but as a read more it looks like they use hair algae ect. I think since they ahve faster growth rates ect.

5. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Maybe you can post a link to info on a turf scrubber as I have no idea what that is.

6. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

You mean add hair algae to the system?

When Viper reads this he is going start crying uncontrollably and hide under his tank:lol:

I wouldnt do it, I would say Cheatomorpha

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

Ok now the truth comes out, he is never going get rid of it, he using it as a scrubber.:whistling:

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hey Gali/Warr - I think that Lappies is talking about what the yanks call "algae turf scrubbers".

This is actually (as far as I understand), theoretically the same thing we see as algae scrubbers, BUT, they take it one step further.

They actually use some type of "mud" in which they plant macro algae, including mangrove plants.... They then run their tank water OVER these mud-beds slowly, and the plants then use up the nutrients, where only nutrient-free water is returned to the tanks.....

Lappies - we basically use a "dosed down" method of this, where we just place some macro algae in our sumps - usually over our DSB's (this acts as the refugium as well). The Deep Sand Bed acts both as the de-nutrifier, as well as a secondary breeding gound (together with the macro algae, ie. chaetomorpha). The chaetomorpha then grows by using up the nutrients in the water, and we remove the excess chaetomorpha on a monthly or bi-monthly basis (depending on how quick it grows).... This is what they term "nutrient exporting".... (as the nutrients are now locked into the chaetomorpha)...

9. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

O I thought it was some kind of device :whistling:

10. lappiesreef

Hey guys

Well it is a device that can be purchased, but also DIYed I think.

I believe it is similar to the fuge set-up, but more intensive.

The water does not move over it continuesly. It uses a bucket syset,

Here is a few links:
    :: The Algal Turf Scrubber ::
    filtration this one descibed a teeter-tottering model

I remebered these kind of system from my biotech days in water treatment and thought they might do a good job with DSB.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2008
  11. lappiesreef

12. lappiesreef

I think they call this system the eco-system method from Dr Leng using special mud.

13. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

In a nutshell:

Never really took off in SA, or most of the world for that matter. NO it is not hair algae but turf algae. Water washes over shallow (just over a cm max) bed of algae and then again in the opposite direction. This gives the algae oppurtunity to grow on both sides, therefor more efficient than one directionl current flowing over it. Algae is scraped off on a regular basis, removing nutrients from the system. IMO this would be more efficient than simply throwing some chaeto in a fuge, as a larger surface area is xposed for nutrient uptake. Definitely requires more work than algae in a sump, cleaning a skimmer and vacuming a dsb, hence its lack of popularity.

If you are willing to put in the effort to run one of these, I am sure it will reward you.

14. jacquesb

Cool Lappies! Thanks for the info.... As I said - ditto! ;-)

15. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Yes Lappies, the eco system uses mud, not an ATS. Also never really took off in SA, or anywhere in the world for that matter.

16. lappiesreef

Thanks for the input ivan

I guess with the effectiveness of running macro algae and a DSB the mud system has more hassels with particles int he water ect than is worth it.

Regarding the ATS, suppose it only really becomes worth it for very large systems.
    Any idea though where I oculd get turf algae or shall I just look for hitch hickers on live rock?

I guess it is the microbiology itch that is driving me towards the ATS system...

17. jacquesb

No problems Lappies - where are you at - I am sure that some reefer close by to where you live will be more than eager to supply you with some macro algae. I am quite sure that most types of macro algae that you can easily remove, should suffice. Any of the caulerpa sp, or chaetomorpha, or perhaps even lettuce algae or some of the red algae types too. Only problem with the red algae types/sp, is that they require special lighting (I think that they thrive with blue light, if I am not mistaken)...

18. lappiesreef

Im in PTA.

Won't be ready for algae ina while though. Tank should only be done at the shop next week sometime. Then all the fun starts :p and the wallet drain...

On a different note regaring the cycling of the tank:
    Would you consider cycling with un-cured life rock or is it just not worth the stentch and wait?

19. Warr7207

Warr7207

If you can get cured, better

20. Geordie

Geordie

Yep get the cured..... well worth it

Recent Posts