algae takeover

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by danimal, 29 Nov 2009.

1. danimal

danimal

hey guys

in the last few days I have had an explosion of algae. mostly brown stuff, but bits of red as well which looks like cyano to me.

i have been monitoring nitrates and phosphates, they are both minimal (nitrate 2.5ppm, and phosphate 0.1ppm). im not sure i trust the phosphate as the algae could be eating it.

possible sources that im aware of:

2 weeks ago i added a whole bunch of "dead" live rock - from a mate's old tank, had been sitting in his garage for a year.

last week i got a CBB - he's doing fine, but obviously ive started feeding marine mix with brine shrimp etc - feeding once a day, pellets and the shrimp. i might be overfeeding?

a few weeks ago i got a blenny, i havent seen in in a few days and he's normally very active. im wondering if maybe he has kicked it somehwere I cant see... but my nitrates have stayed low so im not sure.

im quite concerned as this algae has spread really fast and is looking mighty sif. I have chaeto above my dsb with a 45W warm white globe, however it has remained the same size since I got it aout 5 weeks ago.

on monday I had a mishap with my iodine - dosing bottle was resting on a brace while i was fiddling with stuff and... knocked it over...:whistling: did water change etc, ran carbon, all seemed fine after a day or so. also dosed some stability for two days afterwards as a lot of the bacteria died.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so - there coiuld be a lots of reasons why this is happening but if anyone can share any light, or offer advice it would be most appreciated.

last thing (and this is of the most concern) - this morning i noticed my clowns both have black spots on them! they are behaving normally, just with these little dots everywhere. help!???

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

i dont have alk or ph test kits but i think its time i invest in some. will try get some today and post results

4. chikaboo

chikaboo

"dead" live rock should the main cause dan but also frozen food will help feed the algae - see if yo can shorten the light cycle as well might help as for the clowns mines also started getting blackish spots but they were ok with them didn't affect their health or appetite..

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

To me it looks like you have a major diatom algae outbreak, which could certainly be caused by adding that old dead rock to your system, did you wash the rock at all before putting it in the tank?

Last edited: 29 Nov 2009
  6. chikaboo

chikaboo

Also if you did wash what water did you use R/o or tap - I had one of the outbreaks when I first started coz washed my rock with tap water so alot of the rock retaind the tap water and their nasties causing this headache

7. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

ill be honest i didnt rinse the rock, just put it straight in without thinking. idiot i know.

8. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

ok im off to northlands to get kh and ph test kits. reading around here it seems a low kh will also fuel algae, esp cyano.

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Dont forget to wash your rocks!

10. marinenoob

marinenoob

Hi,

i must agree had a breakout recently and got rid of it but algae kept comping back. I noticed that the first place the algae would start was with a piece of dead rock i added and would spread from there. I have since removed the rock and i hope the algae will not come back.

11. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

reckon i should take the rocks out and wash them?

12. Annoying

Annoying

It wouldbe the beat.

13. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

ok i got a ph and alk test:

ph 8.6
    alk 2.24meq/lt or 6.272dkh

ph seems high and alk a bit low... :whistling:

14. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Hi danimal

With what test kit did you test your Alk?
    And what salt are you using?

15. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

red sea alkalinity pro (only one I could find on a Sunday afternoon). using NSW, from dbn beaches and ushaka.

16. crispin

crispin

i think you hit that tank with a combination of errors and thus the biological filtration is behind and strugling to catch up.

the dead live rock is best take out the tank, put in a seperate container with some internal flow and a smalll skimmer and heater and cured. i would aslo seed that with some good LR. i just feel that it will take too long to cure that dead rock and let the bacterial populations build up. If you dont have a decent container to cure it in, get a good sized bucket and some old tank water. Measure how much tank water you take out and mix up some new water for a water change. then take each piece of dead LR and give it a very good hard shake in the bucket. splash it around vigorously to try dislodge any loose material thats on the surface and in the larger holes.

the other proble i think is that iodine spike may have killed off a stack of your biological filtration. i would look at dosing with a bacertia of sorts, brightwell or seachem for example to try replenish the bacteria.

hope that helps?

17. crispin

crispin

hmmmmm im not so convinced you are putting in quality water to start with. Make sure its pollution free to start with otherwise you will be on the back foot for every delivery

18. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Damn....o thought so....Red sea is no good for testing water....it gives false readings.(sorry to give you bad news:()

Perhaps you can go to one of the reefers and ask them to test your water with a other brand like Tropic marine, Elos, salifert.

Viper is right...it is the Rock that is causing this algae outbreak

Remember to get rid of cyano..it is best to limit what its feeding on....limit no3 , phos, nutrients in the water and also make sure to increase your alkilinity to 12(very slowley) and incease flow.

Do a couple of Wc's this week ;)

19. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

thanks crispin, that helps a lot. i will do all of that, including continuing to dose stability.

im a bit concerned about my alk and ph levels. do you think i should try raise the alk?

20. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

posted same time as you. eish, R260 down the drain... oh well :(

got a spare 5000 l/he powerhead the other day that i havent been using, will turn him on. will also look into raising that alk level

21. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Yip a couple of people went down that some road....i have seen people getting ca readings of 500 with redsea...meantime its 400

Be careful that reading of you alk isn't right...dont raise the alk without knowing what the right reading is...please!

Recent Posts