Algae scrubber design?

Reaction score
can any of you please give me an easy design for a compact algae scrubber that's very effective as well? i need to build one ASAP thanks!

ps. i just googled like crazy and can't find any, i'd rather build one that you guys tried & tested

thanks a mil

ant

Algea Scrubber (Noob)

Hi Guys

Going to try and build my own algea scrubber. My test kits expired and I got the fright of my life when I tested my water today:(

Nitrate = 50mg/l
Phosphates = 1.0mg / l

My skimmer wasnt foaming much for about a month now and I thought it was just because the bio load was light. I think its seen better days so i'm going to buy a new one. How is a reef octopus dwn 250 ?:whistling:

Anyway - I will post some pics of the scrubber as I progress. Strangly enough though I dont have an algea bloom so this doesnt make any sense.

Can I use the scrubber in conjunction with my skimmer ?
:whistling:

Hi Amalic, yes you can/should use a skimmer in conjunction with the scrubber. What skimmer have you got now? yes the Reef Octo/Reeftek are great skimmers,

Skimmer

I have a berlin (old school i beleive !)

13924932d77827153.jpg

I have a berlin (old school i beleive !)

13924932d77827153.jpg

Old school yeah, but I believe they have removed their fair share of fish pooh in its day.

I think Viper (he is old) or even Alan could advise you in terms of set uo as they have run them before, even if you do go for a Reef Octo/Tek you might wanna keep the Berlin in.

Old school yeah, but I believe they have removed their fair share of fish pooh in its day.

I think Viper (he is old) or even Alan could advise you in terms of set uo as they have run them before, even if you do go for a Reef Octo/Tek you might wanna keep the Berlin in.

shees do berlin skimmers really go back THAT far???

I decided to put the sheet of perspex that I sanded to a very rough state into the sump to gather some algea until I can gleu the rest of the scrubber together. Hope this helps with the seeding.
13924932e7f52df9f.jpg

According to Santa Monica the sheet needs to be above the water with water running over it and a light about 3 inches away.
Another reason for you high nitrates are the bio-balls and crushed coral? in your sump. I would remove them and rather use a deep sand bed to convert nitrates. Bio-balls trap detritis :(

Due to space problems below, I'm using my in tank overflow for my scrubber space.

My scrubber, "durso" and silencer, all in one - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

But I must admit, first "harvest" after initial 3 weeks was good, check the pictures. Then week later was nothing writting home about. Now leaving it for two weeks before next harvest, so this Saturday is next harvest. Will take photo and post...

Hi Tobes

I just placed the sheet in thye sump until I am able to finish the external scrubber. The plan is for it to gather some "seed" algea in the meantime.

As for the bio-balls and crushed coral - if I just remove it wont I be taking some usefull mature bacteria out similtaneously. I also have a fuidized bed filter running (perhaps thats enough of a culture for now. I will prepare a dsb over the weekend.

Hi Tobes

I just placed the sheet in thye sump until I am able to finish the external scrubber. The plan is for it to gather some "seed" algea in the meantime.

As for the bio-balls and crushed coral - if I just remove it wont I be taking some usefull mature bacteria out similtaneously. I also have a fuidized bed filter running (perhaps thats enough of a culture for now. I will prepare a dsb over the weekend.

i pulled all my bio balls out in 1 day and the tank crashed! u have to do it slowly over a long period. with this been said mine are back in:whistling:
but i dont advice any one else to do this.

Now i'm confused - bio balls out or not. Maybe I should take out 1 or 2 a day over a few weeks until they are all out. I could create the DSB over the weekend and let it cure over the same period ? I think I will put the crushed coral in a mesh bag on top of the new dsb. That way I can remove a bit everyday as well.

By the way this forum is awesome - I have never had so much advice at my fingertips- can't beleive i've waited so long to join.

1392493434594f83e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom