Algae scrubber construction question

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by flappy, 16 Mar 2009.

1. flappy

flappy

Hi Guys

I am looking for some advice.
    I have constructed my own algae scrubber.
    I have noticed when I turn on the pump that the water does not flow evenly over the mesh material.
    This im sure is due to the slit cut in the PVC pipe is not even.
    I cut the slit by hand with a drill and a dremel bit.
    As this was done by hand it was far from an equal and straight cut.
    Does anyone know how or where I can get an even equal cut on the PVC pipe done?
    I am using 20mm pipe and the pipe is 1.2m long,I have two pipes with these dimensions in my scrubber.
    Any advice?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Flappy! It's been a while man! How are you doing? The "baby" is doing exceptionally well ;) Nice and FAT! LOL!

OK - perhaps pictures of the algae scrubber can help us a wee bit more?

Also - what size pump are you using?
    Did you make slits in the piping? Or drill holes?

I presume that the 1st lot of slits/holes have far more water coming out of them, with the holes/slits further away - having less water coming out of it?

Perhaps close off the holes that's closer to the pump, a little bit more, leaving the holes/slits that's further away, bigger and more open......

4. flappy

flappy Thread Starter

Hi Jacquesb

I hope all is good by you.
    I still regret selling you that fish!!
    Hope it gives you many years of pleasure.
    You need to come and do that article on my system,got the waveboxes up.
    Back to the scrubber,
    I have drilled a slit along the lenth of the pipe but as I did it by hand some parts are wider than other parts and it is not a perfect straight line,as a result most of the water shoots out in the begining of the slit leaving the last part basically dry.
    I wanted to know if there was a good way to get an even straight slit in a pvc pipe.
    I am using a 12 000 litre per hour pump.

5. jacquesb

Flappy - thanks man. Perhaps I can do the article and place it in my magazine? BTW: what do you think of the magazine idea?

The problem with MOST pumps/waterflow, is that water will ALWAYS choose the path of the least resistance.

That is why I suggested the steps in my previous post.

You will have to try and reduce the flow in the 1st third or halve of the slit... that the water is "forced" out the through the rest of the slit.

Alternatively - try and get another replacement pipe: and only drill holes or small vertical slits in the pipe.... this would be most likely be the best way to go....

Another possible way would be - to add another 12000 litre per hour pump, supplying water from the other side...

BUT, unfortunately - those are your options.....

6. flappy

flappy Thread Starter

Hey Jacques I dont know about this magazine maybe you could fill me in?
    I would prefer to try the even straight cut before makiing any drastic changes as I have built the piping etc
    Has anyone got a table saw I could use as I have been told this will cut the PVC pipe as I want it?
    Out of interest how would you insert the mesh if you drill holes in the pipe?

7. seank

seank

Flappy, why don't you have a look at Santa Monica's thread, especially the first couple of pages where he just about explains everything. Maybe the mods can clean the thread up a bit and post it as a sticky or open a subheading on the forum page for algae scrubbers, as I feel a lot of guys are going to convert to this route. Maybe ask Santa Monica to write in this thread, meaning, respond to our members questions, instead of "importing" write ups and pics of other forums- Something like Hennies Corner or Siyaya

8. jacquesb

Hi Flappy -
    Regarding the magazine, have a look at this URL:
    Who's interested in starting our own community and proudly SA Reefkeeping Magazine? - General Discussions

Also - PM Kanga (I will PM you his number, if you don't have it) - he has a bench saw which I am quite sure he won't mind you using.

Also - on the last question - the mesh then just get's "tied" to the pipe (if you only have holes in it), using tie-straps.

9. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Hi Flappy

I use holes as I find that they give a more even flow. The latest update on the slit idea is to have cross cuts to give the water an escape route, should the slit become clogged. This can be found in the later part of Santa Monicas thread. Unless you have a really big screen, I think that 12000 l may be a bit of an overkill.

Here is a pic of the spraybar on 1 of 2 screens in my scrubber. The spraybar is the 2nd one in the background. I have a 2500l/hr pump pushing through 2 of these bars.

[​IMG]

Recent Posts