Algae Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Dot Dash, 18 Apr 2013.

1. Dot Dash

Dot Dash

Hi, I have a problem with algae.
    The tank has been running without and serious problems, and all the parameters seem fine:
    Nitrates: 0.2
    pH: 8.3
    Alkalinity: 6
    Salinity: 1.026
    Calcium: 460
    Phosphate: 0.03
    Magnesium: 1320

The total volume of the tank is approximately 300 liter including the sump. Filtrations is done by a protien skimmer rate for 600 liter, a media reactor with Phosban and a refugium with LR and chaeto that grows really well. Other media in the sump is Purigen and Matrix.

I assume that the low Nitrates and Phosphates can be attributed to the lush algae growth in the tank.
    From the onset I did not have a huge herbivore population in the tank, which gave the algae opportunity to flourish.
    Recently I have introduces 6 snails, two tuxedo urchins, a small scopas tang and a lawn mower blenny that has made it through the first week in my tank. I really hope he will be with me for quite a while.
    A 10 to 15 % water change is done every second week, and I manually remove algea as I get a chance.
    The tuxedos are by far the most effective algae eaters that I have in the tank at the moment. Maybe they are a bit to effective as the LR seems to be stripped bare in their path.
    Should I just wait for the herbivores to do their job, and get rid of most of the algae, or try another option.
    All advise will be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi @Dot Dash. I can borrow my sea hare for you for a week or 2. He will sort out the algae very quickly!!! (will clean up your tank in less than a week.)
    Can you perhaps post a pic of your tank?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Dot Dash

Dot Dash Thread Starter

@Visser - thank you for the offer, I will take you up on that. I did consider adding a sea hare, but could not find a small one at the LfS.
    I will have to take some pics this evening and post them tomorrow.
    I understand that the sea hare is fantastic at controlling algae, but not without some risk involved.

5. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Well, i can gaurantee you that the advantages far outweigh the risks.

Ive had mine for a very long time now & have never had any problems except for a couple frags being knocked over.
    Will bring him to PTA on sunday evening..
    Whereabouts do you stay?

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

@Dot Dash sea hares are great for GHA, they will not feed on bryopsis or cyano. You have enough of a clean up crew, be patient. How long old is your tank, most tanks do go through a period of algal growth that eventually disappears, and adding a sea hare is not going to help that much quicker, in the end you will end up with to any animals that don't get enough food.

7. Dot Dash

Dot Dash Thread Starter

@carlosdeandrade- the tank has been running for almost nine months. Once there is a substantial decrease of the algae in the tank, some members of the CUC will be moved. I do not intend starving these guys after they have done such a good job. At that stage I will definitely be able to vouch for their algae eating ability. @Visser - I stay next to Roodeplaat dam. Maybe it would be wise to give the current herbivores a bit more time to ascertain the impact they have on the algae. Maybe let the sea hare loss in about a weeks time if the other guys don't cope. What do you think.

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Ok, tank's fairly mature. Give the sea hare a go, watch him carefully, then you need to get him out. Other clean up crew will be fine, they will eat the small sprouting algae shoots.

9. Dot Dash

Dot Dash Thread Starter

@carlosdeandrade - my only concern is that the tuxedos might start knocking stuff over when they get bigger. Fortunately small ones are not that difficult to get hold of. Do you have any idea of their growth rate.

10. Cdose

Cdose

You never want to control a problem with a something that just slows down your issue. If your having algae issues then there's a reason. If you can figure out the reason you can control or eliminate the problem. Nutrients are a big factor, if you over feeding,your filtration system isn't removing enough bio matter that can cause bad algae growth and blooms. Is your tank getting sun light? This can factor in. Also do you use tap water? Just going by my OWN experience and what has caused algae issues for me in the past.

:)

11. casperman

casperman

What type of algae ?

12. Dot Dash

Dot Dash Thread Starter

@Cdose - I don't feed more that five time a week, so I doubt that could be the problem. All the water parameters seem to be fine, but I'm sure the Nitrates and Phosphates are low due to the algae growth. The tank does get some direct sunlight in the morning but there is no serious algae growth on this pane of glass. All top ups are done with RO water. @casperman - it is mostly GHA, I was going to take some pics but did not get aroun to it.

If I can eliminate most of the algaein the tank at he moment, and keep the Nitrates and Phosphates in check, that should solve th problem. All tanks have algae, some are just blessed with more that others. I would just like to get it under control.

Three factors make algae grow, light, Nitrates and Phosphates. If you can control those you should be fine.

13. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Well, my seahare isnt going anywhere, so you are more than welcome to borrow him for a while. He is an algae eating machine & will easily bring your algae under control to give your cuc a chance to do their job.
    Just let me know at least a week before you need him.

14. Dot Dash

Dot Dash Thread Starter

Going to give the herbivores in my tank a week to see the results. I will post some pics of the tank over the weekend. @Visser - I will let you know next week if I want to borrow your sea hare. Thanks again for the offer.

15. Dot Dash

Dot Dash Thread Starter

Some pics, not the best, took them with he IPad.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

16. Dot Dash

Dot Dash Thread Starter

Crap, why is it upside down?

17. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hmm, that actually doesnt look that bad... You should have seen my first tank a couple years ago. Even a seahare would have gotten lost in there...

18. Dot Dash

Dot Dash Thread Starter

@Visser - it is actually worse than than what it looks like in the pics. Well for me anyway. I have to commend the one tuxedo. The path it leaves behind is quite unbelievable. Seem as if the one is doing a much better Jo that the other one. The snail do not seem to have an impact at the moment. He little Scopas is also really buys.

19. pkc

pkc

The most affective way to avoid algae in the aquarium is to have it externally. This starves the algae in the aquarium and things will go very well from there on. From there you trim the algae, the nutrients get thrown away. One issue though, algae uptakes a great deal of calcium carbonate, this has to be reapplied.

20. Smithers

Smithers

I wonder how many users sat at their PC's with their heads tilted to see the picture. I know I did!

21. Dot Dash

Dot Dash Thread Starter

image.jpg
    Another pic
    Why are my pics posting upside down.

image.jpg

Last edited: 20 Apr 2013
Recent Posts