Algae problem

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Abed Mia, 15 May 2012.

1. Abed Mia

Abed Mia

Hi

Can anyone tell me what I could do to stop or manage green algae growth in my tank.
    One week after I wipe the surface of the glass it just grow back. Makes my tank look dirty.

Any help would be appreciated

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ScottK

ScottK

Is it green hair algae or more of a green slime algae?

Generally algae growth is due to high nutrients, what filtration are you running at the moment?

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

How long is the algae? I also got some growing on my glass which I clean every few days.

Too much algae is the result of excess nutrients and the right amount of light. You can minimize this by checking nitrate and phosphate levels. You can run phosphate remover, carbon, keep your kH high at 9 or 10, do more frequent water changes, check your RO water TDS (if you use RO) - if you use tap water, then that is probably the cause. Also check your feeding if you're not feeding too much.

5. Abed Mia

Abed Mia Thread Starter

Looks like abit of both but maybe more slim algae.
    My filter media consists of live rock, bio balls, filter woll and charcoal. Also have a tunze nitrate absorber. All in sump

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

How long has the system been running? Bio-balls tends to cause high nitrates as they only convert ammonia to nitrites and then to nitrates. This is where there function stops. So if you do not have a sufficient way to remove nitrates, it will keep climbing.

Last edited: 15 May 2012
  7. Abed Mia

Abed Mia Thread Starter

I only use RO water. System running for about a year now but haven't done any major water change. My corals and fish are all thriving . So I didn't wana interfer.
    I have star fish , snails and a sea urchin. Is there any other creature that could help eat the algae

8. ScottK

ScottK

How often are you changing the filter floss as this can also turn into a nitrate factory if not changed on a regular basis. Are you using high quality activated carbon as the cheaper stuff if used for too long can leach phospates back into the system. Is there no skimmer in your system?

9. ScottK

ScottK

When you say you haven't done any major water change are you doing regular small ones?

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

It is pointless you try to get something to eat the algae, rather get to the root of the problem to prevent the algae from growing out of control in the first place ;)
    You need to look at sufficient nutrient export

11. Abed Mia

Abed Mia Thread Starter

Have done smaller ones but not many. And I haven't changed the carbon ever.
    Thanks for the advise. I will start with the suggestion you guys have given and let you know what hapens.

Appreciate the help

Thanks

12. ScottK

ScottK

What ever you do please do it slowly. Making changes too quickly will export the nutrients too quickly and could upset your live stock. I would recommend starting with some small regular water changes. Take the carbon you have out and replace it with a small amount of decent activated carbon such as Seachem Matrix and change it regularly. Adding a small amount of phosphate remover will also help but do it in small doses and change it regularly. If your filter floss hasn't been changed start changing that as well, I change my filter sock at least every 3-4 days.

13. ScottK

ScottK

If you don't already have it would be a good idea to invest in some test kits to monitor your nutrient levels.

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

get yourself a decent skimmer

Recent Posts