Algae over the DSB

Reaction score
Hey, all.

This is my first entry :p

Let's see. I am starting my marine. I have ordered my tank. It is a 4 ft L tank with corner overflow. I have another L from my freshwater days that I'll like to use as sump. It is a 3ft. I think...

So here is my first question. Would it be best to add algae over a DSB, or have one side of the L DSB and the other side Alage/refugium?

All done :slayer:

Hello LappiesReef! Welcome to MASA!

To answer your question -

You do as you like, BUT I think that you do not waste space when you add it on TOP of your DSB. You can use egg-crate on top of plastic conduit piping (for legs) to lift the macro algae off from the DSB. You would want to maximise the surface area of your DSB to assist in filtration.

Also - what depth were you planning to make your DSB? The ideal depth seems to be between 12 and 15cm with a minimum of 10cm...

masahello Lappies

IMO I would have the Aalgae over the DSB as this way you would have a bigger surface area for your DSB as well as the added benefit of the algae scrubber

mine is 6cm and its working i am getting more sand later:blushing:

dont take my examplelol

I was thinking of a 10 cm aragonite and pool sand mix. Good?

What algae? I saw caulerpa at the LFS, but heard it can go into a sexual fase...

Oh, be the way. Thanks for the welcome and quick replies...

Another question just popped into my head.
Algae on mud bed? Heard of some folks in US using clay (100% caly kitty litter) and caulerpa as a very effective fuge/algae scrubber... What ya think?

Hi LappiesReef - I used "normal" beach sand - you can also use "playsand" from e.g. Reggie's or Toys-R-Us.... Aragonite is MOSTLY for the look - I would rather put that IN the tank.... Clay? I read about it - BUT I cannot see how the micro critters would be able to populate the clay so easily.... as with "loose" sand.... Caulerpa is OK - many folks have used caulerpa without problems. BUT, the craze these days is to use Chaetomorpha - I believe is "safer" and "just better"...

If you can go 12 cm I have 1/2 SeaSand / 1/2 Aragonite

Caulerpa is a good scrubber but does go sexual and it is difficult to get rid of. Rather use Cheatomorpha as a scrubber

Mud bed, yeah some guys say they work, honestly though I would stick to sand and aragonite

Good that I picked up some beach snad last time I down at the cost...

Perhaps a mix of filter sand and beach sand, then the aragonite in the display.

How much biological is too much?

My smaller L has trickle filters built-in on the sides.
Was thinking bio-balls in there. So my flow would go from the over-flow, split into the two trickle filters, then through the DSB’s.

Since it is an L perhaps I should just have both sides DSB (12 cm to be safe then) with the algae over it…

Good that I picked up some beach snad last time I down at the cost...

Perhaps a mix of filter sand and beach sand, then the aragonite in the display.

How much biological is too much?

My smaller L has trickle filters built-in on the sides.
Was thinking bio-balls in there. So my flow would go from the over-flow, split into the two trickle filters, then through the DSB’s.

Since it is an L perhaps I should just have both sides DSB (12 cm to be safe then) with the algae over it…

Ok stay away from the BioBalls DSB vs Bio Balls - Marine Aquariums of South Africa - wiki

Rather get as much DSB space as possible. as for the trickle filter same apllies as for the BioBalls

Welcome to MASA.Macro Algea over a DSB is excellent, espescially if you lack space

I get the bioballs creating too much nitrate, but isn't the DSB supposed to get rid of it?

If you do not have the aerobic filtration, where does it happen?

I guess it could happen in the upper layers of the DSB, but would that be effective enough?

I get the bioballs creating too much nitrate, but isn't the DSB supposed to get rid of it?

If you do not have the aerobic filtration, where does it happen?

I guess it could happen in the upper layers of the DSB, but would that be effective enough?

Your spot on it does happen in the upper layers of the DSB, as far as effectiveness goes yes it is, bear in mind you will be removing nutrients before they start breaking down as well with water changes and with your skimmer

Fair enough.

What is your take on the “natural systems”?

I see allot of them starting to advocate more biological filtration via DSB and algae leaving out the skimmer and lessening water changes.

On author even said that if he changes to much water he gets slime algae problems…

The eco system way seems to go for water through bio-material, then DBS/MUD/ALAGE, bio-media again and back to tank. These systems have 5% water changed monthly or even every second month.

This sounds dicey from what I have read from all the threads, but in a biological sense it can work. Thoughts?

I am not denying that it could work, however one thing your balance has to be spot on, secondly it might work for a while but the DOC will keep building up as you are not removing sufficient quantities IMO. Do any of these guys have a system thats say 5 years old, if so how many of them become 5 y/o percentage wise.

Secondly, a dead fish behind a rock where you dont notice it, a nennie/coral dying in your tank, what safety barrier have you got for this, even over feeding.

I have filter floss as a Mechanical filter, but it gets changed every 3-4 days to prevent it going biological.

All very wise.

I believe the one system was over 10 years old. But like you say, that is only one system.

As a beginner I guess I should stick to the tried and tested ways,

As a microbiologist I am tempted to try the eco ssytem :)
</IMG>

Thank you for your very much appreciated replies. I will definately pick your brains more in the coming weeks as a prepare to get the system up and running.

All very wise.

I believe the one system was over 10 years old. But like you say, that is only one system.

As a beginner I guess I should stick to the tried and tested ways,

As a microbiologist I am tempted to try the eco ssytem :)

There is always the temptation of improving on the wheel:thumbup:

However it is a closed system vs an open system so we have to change a few things.

Now when do you start:thumbup:

Welcome to the forum.

Microbiologist hey? Nice, looks like you could maybe teach us a few things about what is in our tanks once you get one up and running. :thumbup:

Welcome lappiesreef

Get to have new members on board. You are going love your project of building and caring for a reeftank.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom