Algae in RO drums, how to clean?

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by viper357, 22 Oct 2013.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I have two 10 litre plastic jerry cans that I want to store RO in, they were used before for storing tap water and as a result have green algae on the bottom of the drums. Is there anything I can use to clean the algae out of the drums?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

probably vinegar will help.. and then hot water

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

or even better.. some Hydrogen peroxide will dissolve any organic mater then some vinegar and some hot water last

5. KeeganP

KeeganP

Pressure hose+ Vinegar? If you have 1.

6. Express Reef

Express Reef

Works like a charm used this before to clean out drums and to prep live rock...

7. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

sterile to the 100% confidence level.

HTH pool chlorine, as much as you want. you're not trying to dose a swimming pool so ignore directions.

Then some sodium thiosulphate which is more commonly known and sold as a 'de-chlorinator'. But use proper sodium thiosulphate crystals or pellets from protea chemicals etc, thiosulphate can be washed away by water and the worst it can leave behind, apart from chlorine....is some sulphur which should smell a bit but HTH pool chlorine is strong, 1 cup treats 50,000L of swimming pool so there is no point in trying to get the dose right, just gooi and use smell as indicator.......just try and wash that chlorine small away without thiosulphate.

It's actually pretty weird as the chlorine smell just disappears and you smell nothing.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2013
  8. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Bleach works well. Just rinse well and then let them sit in the sun for a while.

9. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

personally i wouldn't add or use any chemicals that could harm my livestock if not washed off properly.. mistakes can happen. Hydrogen Peroxide will dissolve to nothing without a trace even if the drums / containers are not properly rinsed after and vinegar could only drop the PH only so slightly that it wont be even detectable.
    i would probably use Chlorine only if i had to deal with such large tanks that using vinegar and peroxide would be very costly, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it just wash it off very well or use dechlorinator. Same goes for bleach

10. mandarinman

mandarinman

I would also add a couple of handfuls of substrate in to shake around to scour sny residue off

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

We have a lot of plastic containers that we use to transport both RO and salt water. Each of our three vehicles transport anywhere between 200 and 800 liters per day. We use the chlorine method to clean the transport and make up vats.

We have found over the 15 odd years of transporting water that as soon as the drum/container becomes scruffed it attracts algae extremely fast. Keep in mind that these drums are loaded onto a bakkie and are used by job. In other words some containers are full and may be exposed to the open for four or five hours and other that have been used stand empty for four to five hours.

The scuffed drums become very difficult to clean as the algae imbeds in the scratches. We then use these drums as draining drums.

So I can understand the logic behind adding substrate to scuff the drum it will cause issues if used as we use them.

12. KeeganP

KeeganP

Pressure hose?

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Water and a bit of sand and vigorous shaking. That will scrub most off. Then you can use bleach, vinegar or what not.

14. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

Thanks for the tips guys :thumbup: I have some peroxide here so will give that a try first.

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

A good way to do things is to use salt buckets cos they open wide. Can carry livestock, liverock, water and can be washed and if you purchase them they cost half the price of a drum. And they can be stacked easily for storage

16. jclaas

jclaas

It is not advised to place plastic drums in the sun. It may cook the material and cause the release of toxic chemicals.

17. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Well I've been doing it for 15 years with standard white plastic drums and never had a problem...

Recent Posts