Algae ID

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by PJL, 28 May 2013.

1. PJL

PJL

Hey guys Ive got this light brown fluffy mould or algae. You can see it moving in the water flow but comes of really easy Looks almost like dust when I brush it of Its hard to get a decent photo but you can see it on top of the rock Do anybody perhaps know what this is and if its something that I should be worried about?

image.jpg

Last edited: 28 May 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Diatoms... Its nothing to be worried about, & all new tanks have it at some stage or another. You can read up about it a bit more to give you a better idea of what it is & how to minimize it!

4. the fish

the fish

5. PJL

PJL Thread Starter

Hey Visser Thanks very much I don't think its Diatoms Ive had Diatoms that have almost completely gone away, accept if there's maybe different types of diatoms? I think the best way to describe this is that its a 2-3 mm layer of dust patches that you can see moving in the current. Looks very much like mould but its a light brown color. Don't laugh but the closest pic I got to describe this is mould is the one of the bread that Ive included The mould on the live rock is just a little bit darker shade of brown

mould.jpg

6. the fish

the fish

still a diatom if not mistaking

Last edited: 29 May 2013
  7. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

It is definitely a type of diatom bloom. Ive also had it in my latest frag tank after i started it up. It seemed to only form in the higer flow areas. & seems to be "waving" with the current.
    It slowly dissapeared after 2 weeks into the cycle...

PJL likes this.
  8. PJL

PJL Thread Starter

Thanks guys!! If it's only diatoms then Im not to worried You are 100% correct Ive noticed it mainly on one rock that is pretty much in direct flow from the wavemaker Tank is only a month old so I'll see what happens

Recent Posts