Algae ID

Reaction score
Sorry the pic isn't so good, back of the tank between rocks. Basically red, long strains, type of Algae ?? Good, Bad, leave, terminate ??

528479771cddcafa.jpg

It sounds (rather than looks) like asparagopsis sp. possibly taxiformis - red hair algae, it should die off as your tank parameters improve and kept spot on.

It sounds (rather than looks) like asparagopsis sp. possibly taxiformis - red hair algae, it should die off as your tank parameters improve and kept spot on.
Wee-man, any idea why it is just on one rock in one spot ?

Wee-man, any idea why it is just on one rock in one spot ?

Just lucky i guess, it could be the only rock that was in contact with the stuff, other than that, not sure, i doubt it will spread as long as you keep P04 nialed down and don't over feed.

PO4 has been behaving, 2 feeds a day, one flakes, one nori, fish have been on diet for the sake of the Bird's nest project.

All food eaten within 10-15 seconds

PO4 has been behaving, 2 feeds a day, one flakes, one nori, fish have been on diet for the sake of the Bird's nest project.

All food eaten within 10-15 seconds

i think nori is pretty safe anyway so that's good, and flake si supposed to be very low in nasties too.

A better pic required, slime makes it sound like cyanobacteria

Because I am shooting through a gap in the LR, I can't get the camera to focus correctly and because it is close to the wall I can't manually focus as I can't look through the viewer.

See if I can make a plan

Looks a bit more like cyano, it is part of new tank syndrome, run a phosphate remover and keep your parameters good, it will soon get better.

Cyano and diatoms feed off P04 and nitrates, so the quicker you get the water params right, the quicker it will go away, but be prepared for it to get worse, but just remember we have all been though it, it's a right PITA but it happens.

Looks a bit more like cyano, it is part of new tank syndrome, run a phosphate remover and keep your parameters good, it will soon get better.

Cyano and diatoms feed off P04 and nitrates, so the quicker you get the water params right, the quicker it will go away, but be prepared for it to get worse, but just remember we have all been though it, it's a right PITA but it happens.

Weird, not a brand-new tank - 8months old. Here my parameters for last test:

20-1-2008

PH - 8.2
KH - 7
nitrate - <1 ppm
nitrite - 0.0
NH3 - <0.01
Salinity - 1.027 **** (now 1.025)
Calcium - 420
PO4 - <0.01

I keep watching it and see what happens

Try to up the flow, or redirect the powerheads to flow around your rocks more, that should shift it.

OK, it is actually right under a powerhead, where there is relatively slow flow.

Thanks for the advice

Grab a bunch of it with your hands, place in small container in water and photograph again.

DEFINITELY cyano bacteria - another thing about cyano bacteria - it is also being fed from some carbon source. AND, they do indeed grow where the water flow is too slow.... So the water flow suggestion is indeed spot-on!

Had a lot of this a few months back. Tank was re-cycling after a move.
Ways to get rid of it.
1) Siphon it off.
2) Run Carbon
3) As the name suggests this is a bacteria and not an algea. So turning your lights off will not make a difference.
4) Up your water changes. This worked for me !
5) Flow works, in my tank I had a patch that was just out of reach of the powerhead. Adjusting your powerheads will more than likely help dislodge it.

Back
Top Bottom