Algae ID please

Shaun

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Found this stuff growing on the glass in my refugium, have been trying to ID it and it looks like it is one of the turf Algae, Cladophoropsis sp.
The next question is, is this the stuff Tangs eat ?
286496f5a000326f.jpg

286496f5a1678aa2.jpg

I wonder what else it looks like...??

Shaun - I have some similar macro algae that I got from a fellow reefer. He told me it was turtle grass - I wanted to suggest turtle grass to you, but, then I googled turtle grass, and found pictures of something COMPLETELY different......

Shaun - I have some similar macro algae that I got from a fellow reefer. He told me it was turtle grass - I wanted to suggest turtle grass to you, but, then I googled turtle grass, and found pictures of something COMPLETELY different......
Thx, all I really want to try find out is if this stuff edible, just want some natural food for fish. Think I put a removable bit of glass in and see if it grows on it, then I can take it out and put it in the tank for the fish.

Good idea.....
I am QUITE sure that your tangs would eat it. So FAR - I have only encountered 2 types of marine algae that tangs don't eat:
- Bryopsis
- some brown marine algae's

Nice, seen them at Mission Rocks, thought it will not grow in the tank, but you proved my thoughts wrong. Will it be any good in the sump for removal of bad stuff???

Did you check Bryopsis sp. (a type of hair algae) and Gracilaria sp.?
Hope it's the last one, very safe to culture for nutrient export and great for tangs to eat.
My pictures are difficult to match 100%, but there's a resemblence - see what you can find on those.

Back
Top Bottom