Algae help

Reaction score
So I came home after a relaxing 3 week holiday to find my tank in a terrible state.
Please ID this algae for me so I can try and get rid of it. It's slimy almost like cyano.

Reaction score
It is diatoms. Normal for a new tank. It normally goes away on its own but most people cant stand the sight of it so they syphon is out.

RiaanP

Reaction score
does look like cyano.

RiaanP

Reaction score
tank sitter overfeed the tank?

Reaction score
Might have been Riaan, and my Orca cubes bombed out as well which probably made it worse.
I doubt that its diatoms, I had that in August when the original tank went through its cycle and this doesn't look like close to that.

Reaction score
Anyone else?
I'm leaning toward cyano, but don't want to add a chemical to the system if I don't have a clear ID.

RiaanP

Reaction score
when trying to fix something, do not add chemicals.

Rather fix the source of the issue. Obvious tank sitter overfeed the system while you were away. It will fix itself over time as the excess nutrients gets removed via skimmer, algae cheato or whatever filtration options you use.

And feed less for a couple of days. A good water change will help as well, 20 to 30%.

Reaction score
So far I have done 2x 100L water changes, changed filter sock and running some phosphaguard.
I syphoned the substrate as well, but as soon as the lights come back on, the algae/bacteria returns within minutes.

RiaanP

Reaction score
Wait a week. Only bad things happens fast in marine tanks. Good things takes their time.

Can keep on siphoning them off.

Reaction score
Could I siphon water from DT into sump through a filtersock?
I don't really want to do another water change, as I'm scared it might be too much.