Algae growth sequence

Reaction score
HI guys what is the stages of aglae growth while cycling? My little bit of rock is starting to turn brown, what next

Reaction score
Mine did that 4 days ago, now the brown has subsided a bit... Also interested to know

Reaction score
Brown is typically diatoms. That is usually followed by green algae and sometimes cyanobacteria. Thereafter is husbandry is good you should only have limited green algae growth.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Brown is typically diatoms. That is usually followed by green algae and sometimes cyanobacteria. Thereafter is husbandry is good you should only have limited green algae growth.
And THEN people, you should see corralline algae start growing - first spots (and possibly green corraline), and then more and more....

It (should) takes in total about 4-6 months before the first signs of corralline algae starts to grow (and if your alkalinity is high enough, and enough calcium levels are high enough, AND if you don't have high phosphate levels in your tank)....

Reaction score
It also depends on your water quality etc. I had coralline starting to grow after 6 weeks in my new tank, but then again my live rock was very cured. It all boils down to - be patient. Each tank is different.

Reaction score
what else can be used other than phosphate reators( due to Financial strain at the moment) could be used to keep phosphate levels under control?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Timmyus - unfortunately only Phosphate removers either in a "filter sock"/bag, or phosphaet reactors. The truth is that phosphate removers are quite expensive as well..... Unfortunately....

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Timmyus,

I can't recall off the top of my head, but you have a nano don't you? If you also have a skimmer, you can try a liquid PO4 remover. They cost about R100 and a 250ml bottle should last you a while. Look it up.

Reaction score
I have a standard 1.2m tank. Not really a nano. I also heard of a PO4 liquid remover but how effective is it