Algae doctors

herkie

R.I.P.
Reaction score
I introduced 3 5cm Rockskippers to my tank on Sunday, it is now Wednesday and there is a noticable algae difference in my tank.I have seen them chowing the algae so Im sure its them making the difference. Why dont we hear about them eating algae?

are those rockskippers the local stuff?

They are blennies that live in the rock pools and shallow waters along our coast (and much of the rest of the world). You just need to watch them as they do jump. One of their habits is jumping from one rock pool to another, so you often find them on the floor (another tile fish species....)

I stuck one in my tank a little while back. They are not that pretty but have a great little character.
He swims about and pecks on the rocks all day.

I introduced 3 5cm Rockskippers to my tank on Sunday, it is now Wednesday and there is a noticable algae difference in my tank.I have seen them chowing the algae so Im sure its them making the difference. Why dont we hear about them eating algae?

That is interesting. Do you have some recent pics before the blennies were put in. Would be nice to see a before and after pic.
Also is it macro that is been eaten or nuisance algae

What algae do you have Herkie, we might be able to stop it at source rather than keep it at bay

I have also found my Yellow tang and Yellow Doctor (Apparently that is the name!) peck on the rocks all day. I had a leeettle algea problem and they have helped to get it under control while I sort the water param's out.

I have also found my Yellow tang and Yellow Doctor (Apparently that is the name!) peck on the rocks all day. I had a leeettle algea problem and they have helped to get it under control while I sort the water param's out.

The Yellow tang is also called the yellow doctor (in the US i think) but all tangs are good algae eaters - convicts especially - or any of the bristletooth gang

The yellow doctor i have is yellow as a juvenile then gets a yellow ring around it's eyes. It is brown as an adult with spots.
Voracious algea eater.

The yellow doctor i have is yellow as a juvenile then gets a yellow ring around it's eyes. It is brown as an adult with spots.
Voracious algea eater.

Cool, when i have searched for fish species i have seen the yellow tang as a doctor as well as yellow - usually from US sites

That is interesting. Do you have some recent pics before the blennies were put in. Would be nice to see a before and after pic.
Also is it macro that is been eaten or nuisance algae
Nuisance only.

See the clean parts on the wavemaker.
DSCI0286.jpg

DSCI0290.jpg

DSCI0291.jpg

Last edited:
I would fully agree with this line of algae control.

HMM..But still interesting that on our shoreline in every rockpool we have bucket loads of potential algae eaters...and we don't even realise it. Herkie it would be really interesting to get further feedback and confirmation that these may be more effective than black mollies for instance. You have some fantastic specimens as well. Maybe just watch this guy does'nt have a change in menu

DSCI0282.jpg

See the algae taken off around the colony on this pic, one of them likes to sit there and does his job when hungry.

Very very interesting Herkie, thanks for this info, could you maybe upload some daytime pics tomorrow so we can see where and what they have been eating, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom