Algae contract cleaning

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by jrwdive, 1 Sep 2009.

1. jrwdive

jrwdive

My tank has been going about seven weeks now and a bit of green algae was starting to become evident. On Sunday I decided to collect some snails to reduce the problem until the ATS kicked in properly.

I nipped off to Isipingo and quickly collected some candidates. The problem is, being new to the game (more is better) I ended up with a solution way too big for the problem.

5 x Turbos, 2 x topshells and about 8 nerites have dealt with 15% - 20% of the algae coverage in 48 hours.

I see they will have to be considered as being on short term contract. The best performers will be given permanent posts!

Seriously though, the tank is 1.1m x 0.6m x .5m, how much algae is considered acceptable when established and how about how many should I think of keeping? I suppose I could experiment until I get the right balance.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Some people recommend 1 to every 25L. I prefer to remove the Phosphate's

In the beginning a tank will cycle through a few different stages and a few types of algae just keep the phosphates to a minimum and all will subside

4. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Every tank is different, but if i were you i would stick with the Turbo's, should be a fairly decent crew.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I found the turbo's to be the weakest snail. That is the smooth greenish type. They die very easily.

The other Turbo coronatus with a lot more rugged shell is a lot more hardier. But they can become quite big. But they are grazers like lawnmovers.

Personally I prefer Nerita's. Much smaller but also a good grazer. In my 240L I must have 50+. I clean my front glass once in 3 weeks.

What does a topshell look like?

Yes another around Durban local snail, the Muricidae, stay away. They do attach bi-valve and mussels type of shells. Check Muricidae Snail - Warning - Invertebrates for a picture

6. jrwdive

jrwdive Thread Starter

I'm quite patient and realise the tank will take a while. It helps to have an interest in gardening - same long term view I think.

I think the top shell is Trochus nigropunctatus - black spotted topshell. The Turbos are the Cornatus. I'm amazed how quickly they appear when the lights go out, but I should have remembered back to collecting Arlikreukels at night.

7. Tony

Tony

Just remember to cut back on your cleaning crew once the job is done. Too many snails equates to too little food available especially in a clean system

Recent Posts