Urgent help needed algae bloom

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by ashley100, 10 Jan 2011.

1. ashley100

ashley100

first happy new year

i came back from holiday on Monday and found a bit of algae on my LR and back glass, when i tested my water i found my po4 was sky high, so i got a phosphate sponge.it removed all the phosphate in 2 days. So when i tested my water again and found my NO3 was way over 50mg/l . So i done a serious gravel clean and water change, now my NO3 is around 25mg/l . SO my problem is that the algae is growing even more tacking over, and i added 2 T5 54w lights on the weekend. and 2 of my fish died 1 common clown and a 2 colored blenny they both went skinny the day before they died .

any help plz:biggrin:

Last edited: 10 Jan 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

hi ashley and happy new year to you too:)

it sounds like things have gone out of whack rather seriously in that tank at the mo, and honestly i wouldnt worry too much about phosphates and algae, lets rather concerntrate on why fish are dying and bring things around slowly.

what are you using to test your water with, and can you give us a full break down of water quality, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SG and temp in particular?

Its great to hear youve done a water change, i assume the fish died before the water change? How much of a water change did you do (as in an estimated percentage of total water vollume?)

do you run carbon at all.

do you have a skimmer and is it functioning well?

I am sure that once you have water parameters stanble for a while, takling the algae wont be a problem, but we have to find a way to stabalise the tank and stop things dying before that will happen. Remeber if a big thing like a fish is dying, there are likley to be millions of smaller things dying first and thus you may go into a miny cycle as things stabalise out.

4. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

thanks
    my temp is at 27c and i only got a nitrate kit NO3 is at 25mg/l and a phosphate kit PO4 is 0.1mg/l my PH is 8.3 and alkalinity is 4 meq/l and Sg is at 1.025 that is the only test kits i got. One fish died before the water change and one after the water change. I done about a 30% water change. I got a reef octopus protein skimmer im sure it is working ok because the cup always gets full of brown crap and smells bad. No i have never run carbon before not even sure about it.
    Should i get other test kits and if so what kind.

Hope i gave enough info

5. gecco

gecco

I would sugest you get a ammonia & nitrite kit asap.

6. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

sweet ill have to try get one tomorrow some where ill have to send the wife/helper ha ha.
    but if the ammonia and nitrites are out what what fix's that

thanks

7. gaboon

gaboon

Some petshops will test ammonia/nitrite for free. If that is the problem then the tank is still cycling. Ammonia is highly toxic to fish. How long has the tank been running? Got any pics?

Last edited: 11 Jan 2011
  8. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

my tank has been going for a 1 year and 8 months, and i took my water to get tested when i got back from holiday but did not test for ammonia obviously now now i feel like im in a spin

9. gaboon

gaboon

Well a mature tank shouldn't have an ammonia spike unless something substantial died. Is it possible you could of had an extended power failure while you were away?

10. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

flip i dont think so i got a small ups that works for about an hour. MY one cup of pollyps half died looks like crap could that be the problem.

11. gaboon

gaboon

doubt it. Was someone looking after your tank?

12. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

ya i had a buddy looking after it all he did was feed fish once a day and top ups.

13. gaboon

gaboon

Well I'm stumped, something definitely happened while you were away. Were the phosphates and nitrates an issue before you left? Phosphates build up over time but nitrates can go up pretty quickly with heavy feeding. Still shouldnt kill fish. I'll wait for someone else to pipe in.

14. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

no they were never a problem before thanks for the help

15. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

now when i check my clown fish, i see she's getting splotches all over anyone know what thats all about.

16. crispin

crispin

ashley have you done any more water changes and when was the last one you did.

i would certainly start with carbon and its very easy to do, if you dont have a reactor to put it in, just get a sock (good pet stores will have something and often carbon manufactures supply them) and hang it in the sump after the skimmer and before the return pump. You can use old ladies stockings too if u cant find a manufactures bag, you just want something that the water will pass through easily to get to the carbon. Read the packaging on the container of the carbon, often you need to soak it in warm water for a while too.

@viper357 could you move this thread so it gets better exposure, it sounds to me like this tank is in real trouble at the moment

ashley can you give us some pics, especially of things that are looking in trouble like soft corals (do they extend at all) and fish

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

no my last water change was on saterday. can i get the carbon from any pet shop my corals look ok . I dont know why but i always have trouble uploading pics, ill try get the pics on asap.

18. ashley100

ashley100 Thread Starter

the pic file were to big and my batteries in my camera have gone flat and now charging video camera to take pics every thing goes wrong at once.

can you tell me what test kits i should go out to get tomorrow and any thing els for precaution that i can get.

19. Anemone

Anemone

Agreed!

20. Anemone

Anemone

Did he perhaps top off with tap water?

Where is your source water coming from? Is it time to change the filters on the RO unit? Any chance that chlorine has entered the system?

21. Anemone

Anemone

You should be able to get the carbon at any LFS.

Try uploading the pictures to photobucket.com and then upload them from there.

Recent Posts