Algae blenny in skimmer over-flow cup

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by MarjoleinJ, 28 Feb 2013.

1. MarjoleinJ

MarjoleinJ

Hi everyone
    Here is a question / concern...our algae blenny has been with us for about 3 weeks now. On 2 occasions we have found him "sleeping" in the skimmer over flow cup of the tank (Red Sea Max 130D). Not the skimmer cup, but the black cup that hangs in the tank. He seems quite content, but I find it rather unnerving and thought he was dead the first time:(. Is there any harm in this for him? And is the cup really necessary? I have tried raising it so that he cannot get in there anymore, but that causes problems with that water level in the pump chamber. I am also worried that he can't get out. He is a real character and I would hate to lose him or see him injured. Newbie, so any thoughts are appreciated:). Thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

The cup is for surface skimming (overflow cup), I would not remove it as it helps keep the water surface clean.
    What other fish do you have in your tank? There could be another fish bullying it which is why it ends up there...

4. crispin

crispin

can you not put an egg crate barrier infront of the cup so he cant get in?

i doubt that its a bullying thing, it just sounds like he has choosen it as a bed. how many holes and crevices does he have in the tank, it might be that he just needs some better places and some new rock work to have as his territory?

5. MarjoleinJ

MarjoleinJ Thread Starter

Thanks Tekkengal and Crispin. There are 2 small clown fish in the tank, a cleaner shrimp and a hermit crab. The cleaner shrimp does try and clean the blenny so maybe he is feeling a little threatend. There is about 20kg of live and base rock in the tank and lots of holes and caves. He does have his favourites of those too...

6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Lol, sorry for only tagging in now. I had exactly the same think with my algae blenny 2years ago. He was climbing into my sun sun flow pump when it switched off at night & i always had to chase him out in the mornings otherwise he would have been sushi or soup or something...
    I agree with @crispin, build some kind of grid over the top (from box to water surface). He will quickly learn not to use it anymore. They are actually very smart fish. I always had fun with mine...
    Well, the only way i could stop him from sleeping inside the pump was to leave the pump on 24/7.
    Once he learned not to sleep there anymore, i started switching off the pump again.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. MarjoleinJ

MarjoleinJ Thread Starter

Thanks Visser, I am relieved that seems to to be a Blenny thing...Will find a way to cover the skimmer cup. Thank you everyone :)

8. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

A good material to use is called egg crate. You can buy it from some plastic shops or from maizies plastics.
    Its also called light diffuser grid...

9. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Algae Blendy.

10. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

And blennies are very funny fish and are such characters, my bi-colour always liked to watch tv when it was on.

He probably likes the flow of the water moving into the cup, as long as the skimmer is always on he should be safe I think, if its off and hes sitting there and u turn it on, then he'll be a blended blenny.

blennies are actually quite clever :)

Recent Posts