Algae area trim needed far sooner because of dosing!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 9 Dec 2012.

1. pkc

pkc

It’s been nearly two weeks now since I started using my home made coral and algae needs and dosing with them
    Being that caulerpa has a significant calcium carbonate amount with in and it is one of it’s priority needs, the dam stuff is growing out of the water in my algae part of the NWMS in one week, and this is my second trim since starting the dosing.

So any one I told I had little maintenance, I was wrong so that’s changed a bit now, it was once each 10 to 12 days!

So i am drying it out pounding it to powder and its going back in so it’s not wasted.

Before trim.
    [​IMG]

after trim
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I had a similar type of caulerpa, between a leave and a grape. Not sure about the correct name.

And yes, they grow extremely fast.

4. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

Yeh it’s the best I have used for nutrient importing and valuable substance producer.

I got it identified by the govs algae expert over here as a morph of racemosa laetevirens.

She said that this type of racemosa is the most morphic of all caulerpa and a very sensitive type as well, the one I use that we collected dies from 25c up, we learnt that the hard way.

This one is very interesting; I will put on another thread about it as to something a bit unbelievable.

But it did happen!

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Mine grew extremely fast. Used them as the nutrient export on my quarantine holding system.

Problem was that it went sexual twice in 4 months. Was 100% in the morning. When I got home that afternoon it looked like half cooked spinach. White out and collapsed. First time I safe 2 little strings that was still alive and looked OK. And that regrow to fill the chamber within 4 months. The second time i did trim the Caulerpa on the Sunday. It went all wrong on the Wednesday.

But come to think about it, you mentioned 25 degrees, could maybe have been that.

At the moment I got Cheato.

6. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

Yeh cheato is hardier; I have some of the northern hemisphere type, as our Auz variation is quite weak and have tried it out under different conditions.

I applied extra phosphorus both organic and inorganic at it for a time and closed off anaerobic parts of that bio system so nitrates would become abundant as another experiment, this is with my tubs not with the NWMS I use for my display tanks and it was quite interesting.

The racemosa morph I use is as with many other caulerpa types, if they have conditions conducive to good health they don’t go sexual at all.

We do that to them, it’s a species preservation response, once it is suffering and potential death is approaching, it goes to spore.

The things that take high nutrient importing caulerpa down are heat, weak colours in its lighting, inorganic substances, normally from the tap or the wrong types of plastics leaching toxins or metals in live rock or in rubble or shell grit and it corrodes or rusts, these two are extremely toxic to invert life before fish are affected.

One of the guys couldn’t get the caulerpa or other inverts to do well in his and took it all down and found in the sand from the shop a year or two back that he bought, metals.

As I say to them, any thing like live rock, dead rock, rubble,(anything) that is going into marine system you have to apply a magnet(part of the glass cleaner has this in it) to it no matter what, just to be sure!

Sort of the same with non known aquarium plastics, if it has uv protection built in or colour or a smell to it of any kind, you are potentially poisoning your inverts first then the rest later on as the parts per million builds.

Water changes just let the problem linger and the tank never reaches its potential.

One third of all hobbyists have a small part of one of these issues going on and never realise it and equally never realise their tanks true potential.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2012
Recent Posts