Alfred Shallow Reef Build

Zeo Or Fuge

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi All

So I'm Building a Shallow reef tanks , Really Taking my Time , Making Sure I get everything right from the start.

Tank Dimensions are 1200mm Long X 600mm Wide X300mm In Height

Goals For the tanks is SPS dominant.

Some decisions i would really like your input on are the following

Lighting : Looking for a tried and true method , Currently I'm Looking at Running T5 Fixtures on the Tank , OR T5 MH hybrids. Leds work great but there is just to many variable there to adjust and hopefully get right.

System : I have two choices here , 1. Run Zeo Vit on the Tank or 2. Run a Refugium on my inlet to the sump.

I would like to follow a tried and proven method like zeo , But i also see the upside to running a fuge and not a ULNS system.

Progress so far : This weekend i have done the following : Purchased a return Pump (Jeabao 6500 )
Purchased The Sand And Dry Rock ( 20KG Red See Aragonite 10KG Carib Sea White Dry Rock )

I have started by putting the sand and rock into the tank this weekend cutting a hole for power into the dry side of the tank.

Next weekend will be the weekend for the plumbing.

Pics of the tank so far

IMG_20180708_134936.jpg

IMG_20180708_134944.jpg

IMG_20180708_140532.jpg

IMG_20180708_141317.jpg

Stunning setup so far! I understand the appeal of the tried and true lighting options but why not give the Radions a shot? You can get the gen 3 pros for a good price or gen 4s and run the AB+ setting which takes out the guessing? Saving on bulb changes, less heat and less electricity.

If I had to choose, I would run a refugium over zeo simply due to convenience and cost, but I don’t see the necessity for either if you’re keeping a low fish population.

Out of interest, what/will you be running a skimmer and how will you be supplementing Ca, Mg, Alk and trace elements?

Looking forward to seeing the progression of this setup!

With Zeo you might struggle to get what you want. Jungle Aquatics is the only place i know of that was selling it & it seemed like they were more phasing it out & running what they had left on special for quite a while now.
See here: https://www.jungleaquatics.net/online-store/search?keywords=zeovit&offset=0&sort=relevance

If you decide to go MH and are ok with used gear there's a guy in Durban with some that he's sitting on - Aquamedic ones i believe they were,think they were MH/T5 units which i think you'll be lucky to find new ones of unless you buy in from offshore.

T5 - Aquarium Depot hold SOME Ati sunpowers etc

Last edited:
Thanks for the response

I will be running a fairly low fish population but there will be fish (possibly a tang and some smaller fish clowns ect )

I will be running a skimmer haven't decided on make or brand just yet but there will be one in the system

with regards to supplements I don't think ill be running a reactor so im looking at two part or kalk wasser

any suggestions will be very welcome with regards to this

Regards
Alfred

I think im leaning towards Fuge , i would love to run Triton but unfortunately its not available here and with out the ICP testing its really guessing.

I think im leaning towards Fuge , i would love to run Triton but unfortunately its not available here and with out the ICP testing its really guessing.

You can do icp here but its just not cheap - probably ends up R1000 a test
1) Buy & import the test kit yourself 25-30euro (i just grab in when i buy other stuff)
2) There's been nonsense with airlines/couriers here not willing to ship "liquids" so to avoid that nonsense i ship with Fedex & they aren't exactly cheap (R550) but if i send on monday I have Triton/Ati results normally friday.

I buy mine from here - https://www.seaflowerstore.com/testing/lab-test/

how often are you doing the icp like this ?

I'm still learning & fiddling, monthly/bimonthly
I'm not running Triton - using some of redsea abcd & some Ati single's

Last edited:
If you’re going to have a low fish load, what’s your goal with the refugium? It may not necessary and will just add to maintenance. I like to keep my setups as simple as I can.

Back to supplementing, why not run unsaturated kalk in your topup initially and then as Ca and alk consumption increases, you can run saturated kalk in a stirrer through your topup and then dose two part to keep up with the tank’s demands (only if your tank requires additional dosing). You’ll also then get the benefits of higher ph.

Just my thoughts...

Ooooh this tank is awesome... I was so sad i missed out on it....

Gonna be an awesome looking system... But like @2una said, zeo seems to be fading out, i wouldnt go with zeo..... On the other hand, Aquaforest also has zeolites if im not mistaken.... Have a look at their products..

Ill be following......

Just fyi..if you run zeovit then kalk is not recommended according to their guidelines due to potential phosphate binding qualities of kalk

Also agree with @2una..seems like zeovit being phased out..im using zeovit currently as I bought alot of stock over the years when on special and the products are very concentrated. Maybe look at the aquaforest range as they also offer a zeolite type system which is cheaper than kz zeovit

Back
Top Bottom