Alan's new build

Discussion in 'Supersized Tanks' started by JAJA, 2 Oct 2012.

1. JAJA

JAJA

I've been putting this off for some time now while deciding on location, size, engine room, etc, but now that I have started I guess it's time to start a new thread to document the journey.

After starting out in marines about two years ago with my current 1600x600x600 DT I have now decided on upgrading and building a new system.

My planning is to have the engine room set up and running this year linked to my current DT. I'm going on holiday at the end of the year so don't want to have to deal with settling in problems of the new DT before I go away.

On my return in January I'll start setting up the new DT.

The tank will be focused on angelfish as the main species with some anthias, etc, with a lagoon type landscaping and mainly SPS corals. I'm planning on keeping the lighting demands low with having three free standing islands with open sand banks around. Lighting will be focussed over these coral islands with infill lighting between.

Display Tank

2800x1000x870mm (height allows for 20mm base glass, 800mm water depth and 50mm clearance above water)

The tank will be recessed into an enclosure with viewing limited to front pane only. Front pane starfire glass. Sides will be kept available for pumps, etc.

Overflow through side cut out and external overflow box.

Pumps = 4 x Vortech MP60. I've bought 2 second hand on the forum so far. Just need to add the remaining 2.

Lighting = I currently have three Aquaray 1000 tiles that I will use as infill lighting. I'm still undecided on the lighting over each of the coral islands but I have time to decide this. There are lots of new products being presented at MACNA so I'll wait to see what comes out of there.

I will only be ordering the new DT in the new year so no rush at the moment.

Engine Room

I will be locating all my filtration and back up systems in a dedicated room on a lower level. At this stage only the DT will be on the upper level but the design is flexible and I can add other components like DSB, refugium, etc, in the future.

I'm using available tanks from a frag system I have shut down. Tanks are built 10mm rimless so durable. The two sumps will be linked with 50mm pipes.

1. Sump 1 = 1200x600x400mm - inlet from DT to filter socks, ATS or macro algae, bio filter, outlet to sump 2
    2. Sump 2 = 1200x600x400mm - skimmers, reactors, return pump
    3. RO reservoir = 400x470x800mm (sized to fit available space)
    4. Water change = 1200x400x400mm
    5. Skimmer = initially one Reef Octopus BB5000INT. Will double up as the stocking levels grow.
    6. Reef Octopus KS100 kalkstirrer (will be added with new DT)
    7. Reef Octopus CR3000 Calcium reactor (will be added with new DT)
    8. Reef Octopus MF90 media (for carbon)
    9. Reef Octopus BPR140 bio pellet reactor
    10.Reef Octopus PHR140 Phosphate reactor
    11.Return pump BB HY10000
    12.Water mixing pump BB HY2000
    13.Bought a 2nd hand Profilux Plus II on the forum which I will develop over time for control.

Water changes are semi-automated as I have ATU systems with piping options controlled by valves. I can fine tune this over time.

That's enough of an intro for now. I was going to take pictures of the engine room progress last night but Murphy was hanging around and I drilled through a water pipe and spent the night chopping out a hole int eh wall to repair the pipe. The basic system is ready for filling. I just need to connect the piping from engine room to the upstairs DT.

I'll take pictures tonight and post later.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW Alan! That sounds like one FANTASTIC System! Looking forward to some pics!

4. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Sounds nice, please keep the updates coming!!! Will definitely be following this thread!!!

5. JAJA

JAJA Thread Starter

Pictures

Thanks all.

Progress pictures of the engine room. So far I have;

1. Set up sumps and done water test
    2. Added sand to DSB
    3. Filled with SW
    4. Water circulating through the system now
    5. Set up RO tank and ATU systems. Using Tunze
    6. Set up water change tank

Next step is to core drill holes through a wall and slab and complete pipework to DT on first floor level above. Connect up and let the system run until the end of the year. Early next year I'll add the new DT.

Pictures from left to right;

Sump 1 (the holes for the pipework to the upper level will go through the wall on the left side). The current pipe going in is temporary (outlet from sump 2) to get the circulation and DSB going. Sump 1 will have filter socks, DSB/refugium, outlet to sump 2.
    [​IMG]

RO station between sumps 1 and 2. The Tunze ATU on the left tops up from the RO tank (the kalk stirrer will be connnected into this line once the system is connected to the DT) and the Tunze ATU on the right tops up the RO tank from the RO unit. The RO tank has an outlet in the base to top up the water change tank.
    [​IMG]

Sump 2 - this sump houses the skimmers and reactors. The line with valves on the wall is a T off the return line that can feed reactors and also to tap off pressure in the return line if necessary. The RO5000INT skimmer will be doubled up once with new DT is added.
    [​IMG]

The waste from the cup is connected to a waste pipe outlet line to my main sewer line. My water change is also plumbed into this waste line. I can do a water change by opening the valve to the left. The volume between the water level (inlet line on right) and the valved outlet line is equal to the water change tank volume. The inlet line on the right is from the water change tank.
    [​IMG]

Return pump
    [​IMG]

Water change tank
    [​IMG]

Water change tank control valves. With the valves I can top up from the RO tank, circulate and mix salt in the tank, tap off RO water as required (fill containers), do a water change.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the location of my current DT and where the new DT will go. The wall width is 3200mm and the new DT is planned for 2800mm, leaving 200mm either side for the Vortech pumps and overflow, etc.
    [​IMG]

Some pictures of my current DT and fish;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Flame
    [​IMG]

Emperor at cleaning station
    [​IMG]

My new lemonpeel angelfish
    [​IMG]

6. seank

seank

Quite impressive tank you have there, and more impressive tank you working on. Gonna love watching this mature into a descent reef. Good luck with the move over

7. Dillan

Dillan

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

looking good Alan.... keep up the good work

9. JAJA

JAJA Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Now working on the pipework linking the sumps to the upper level DT.

10. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Fantastic!! WOW!
    I would love to see this system in person once you are finished!

11. JAJA

JAJA Thread Starter

Progress

Core drilling through slab and wall completed today so link between DT and sump system should be completed by this weekend.

12. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

WoW,,,!!! Impresive building plans! Taggin along for the ride!! :yeahdude:

13. Salie

Salie

Really nice existing tank looking to follow this thread

14. Ayoob

Ayoob

Stunning Alan keep up the good work

Salie likes this.
  15. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Any updates on this build Alan?

16. JAJA

JAJA Thread Starter

Got the pipework completed over the weekend to link the two systems. Been running as a linked system now since about 6pm Sunday. Checked all pipework late last night for leaks and only one found on the return line as it passes through the slab. I'll re-do this connection this evening and have the system linked up again by tomorrow evening after the seals have set (hopefully leak free this time).

Linked in the kalkstirrer to my ATU and monitoring parameters for now before i fine tune this.

Shut down my old sump system in the cabinet and cleaning all equipment before I add some back to the new system in the filtration room.

Will be adding back the phosphate reactor this evening.

Next step is to set up my dosing system (Marine Magic) which will add Alk, Mag, etc. I'll decide on the range of supplements after running in the kalkstirrer for a week or two. This will be temporary until the new larger tank is added with calc reactor, etc.

Then it's onto setting up the profilux but still need to get a powerbar and some other bits.

I'll post some updated pictures once I've completed adding the basic equipment back to the system.

17. Rossi

Rossi

Any update? Love the neatness of your engine room!

Last edited: 25 Dec 2012
    Salie likes this.
  18. the fish

the fish

Looking awesome there Alan. :thumbup:

19. JAJA

JAJA Thread Starter

No update as yet. December revolved around preparing my system for my 3 weeks holiday and ensuring that everything was ship shape and running smoothly for the tank sitter to do the minimum maintenance.

Automated as much as possible and set skimmer to run slightly dry to reduce risk of excessive fresh water top ups as a result of over skimming.

Everything went well and no problems on my return.

I'm now doing the final planning on the new tank build sizing before I commit to ordering glass, etc. This should be done by the end of this month.

Plan to have new tank up and running by April/May.

20. Trasique

Trasique tahir

simply marvelous and well planed, welldone on a great job

21. Sidney

Sidney

Need some pics:lol:

Recent Posts