Aircon RO water

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by RiaanP, 2 Dec 2008.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Now this might be a stupid question or suggestion. Had anybody considered the water condensate formed by aircon units, to use that instead of RO water. I mean it is clean moisture from out of the air.

And before you mention dust, the water condensate forms on the aircon part inside the building. They all have a water catch thingaboob under the vent unit that drains with a pipe to normally outside the building.

We did test at my local LFS the water from his RO tank and the water from the building big aircon drainage pipes. The TDS readings are
    Aircon .5
    RO tank .6

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

i have also wondered the same thing, but i won't try it.

i throw a 25l drum out every morning at the shop

4. martin

martin Reef Adict

Something that has worried me for some time is perhaps the aircon water would contain copper as the piping in the aircon is copper and there is a certain amount of heat exchange which could lead to higher amounts of copper?
    Why don't you test for copper aswell?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Dont the condesate form outside the radiator, drip down into a drip tray, and from there drained out?

Anybody who got a aircon, and can test for copper, please report. :policeman:

6. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

It could also contain many thing for which you have no way of testing - do a TDS check

7. lIghty

lIghty

Wouln't touch it if you paid me, will have traces of either copper or Aluminuim!

only if it had a titanium evaporator would I consider it. It would be like using a chiiler with a copper evaporator, see how long you corals would live.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

I did a TDS check, .5 better than the RO water that was at .6

9. Megalodon

Megalodon

hmn set up a small bucket with an airpump and aiptasia/ or an unwanted zoa/ whatever, throw in some salt, a bit of carbon in case of any nasties and give it a go... don't even need a heater as its summer. Try it out and if it works I'm sure you will have created a new trend for people without their own R/O units. If it doesn't then at least that question is definitively answered. Surely it's better than straight tap water with such a low TDS, and some tanks run on tapwater.

10. lIghty

lIghty

Can't understand that, coz that water drops from the copper piping? what did i miss here?

11. scubaninja

scubaninja

you are possibly a smelly banana?:slayer:

well, i think the RO filter needs a clean, TDS should be towards 0. Maybe there is some insulation at play here, but if its water from the atmosphere it may only have dirt in them. But again, as justin said, you need to check the copper levels. And if they are low, remember that as the life of the Aircon goes on the copper pipes will wear out slowly so it will increase, so it for some reason, its ok for now, it may not be that way for long

12. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Even so, if you take into account that copper is fatal at mere parts per million, you could have a TDS of "0" and still have lethally contaminated water. I would not use this water, unless I could be assured that the plumbing, radiator, etc. is made from titanium, as lIghty suggested.

Hennie

Recent Posts