Air stone in reef tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by HOT SAUCE, 17 Oct 2013.

1. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

hi all

this a real simple question. is there a reason besides salt creep due to the splashing bubbles why people don't have air stones in their reef tanks? I really like the look of bubbles floating up and wish to have an air stone in my new build. is there something i'm missing or don't know about

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

salt spray on your lights, on the back of the tank...
    Stray voltage.
    Shocking you, especially on the T5 light units that is closer to the water.

4. Zandy

Zandy

Also some fish like boxfish ghe sirbubbles could negatively affect them

5. Afsal

Afsal

Plus it doesn't look natural ....

6. pkc

pkc

Most of your reef aquarium life will be adversely affected by continues bubbles in the water, guaranteed!

7. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

You can have your bubbles in your sump but just have something on top like bio balls to prevent the saltspray...

8. pkc

pkc

Just don't let any of the bubbles get to your return pump or they will become micro bubbles and sent up to your display tank, once the return pumps impellor chops them up.

9. HennoK

HennoK

OMG!! What happens then ?? Tank wipeout ?

10. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

thanks guys.. i did not know that marine life does not like bubbles i thought it would be natural to them with all the waves breaking above them and all. my idea was also to have just tiny little bit of bubbles coming out in one site of the tank.. but of course if its not a good plan then i wont do it. i was not so much worried about the saltspray because i wasnt gonna put a large airsotne with guge bubbles popping on the surface but was more worried how it was gonna affect my tank in general.. chemistry, inhabitants etc

11. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

i think what happens is that your water becomes over saturated with oxygen which can stress your fish and make them sick.. i think @butcherman had a tang recently that had this problem
    and besides that microbubles just make the tank not to look very nice since there bubbles floating in the water everywhere

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

just a thought.. most surge devices create lots of bubbles, does that mean that surge devices are not recommended

13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

no my tang had HLLE from to much agitation of my active carbon.

14. pkc

pkc

No, tank wipe outs are normally from, I am gunna do it my way, stupidity or a lack of knowledge.

15. pkc

pkc

The best way to see what does what, is to have certain tank life for some years living one way and have the same life living in other ways and see the difference, that’s a good way to learn, costly but you remember it well that way.

Most of our guys have wave makers and they don't have micro bubbles, what's the go with the ones you guys use?

For the short term, the bubbles are no big deal, for the long term, now that’s a whole new ball game, corals will flush to get the bubbles off and out and you will see from time to time with the spider web signs as they empty their stomachs or deplete them selves of mucus to get rid of the bubbles and possibly starve to death.
    It’s a little like copper sulphate and what it does to fish, the fish is cured after a while, but has no mucus left for a time as it has use it all up repelling the copper sulphate from its body.
    Of course that leaves the fish defenceless when it is returned to the aquarium, still stress full though and may lead to a death.
    Also crustaceans little pump style breathing apparatus will be aggravated by continues bubbles, so basically you don’t end up with a tank wipe out, just on going stress to marine life and what comes from stress, “nothing right”, stress is good for marine aquarium life?

For the short term, anything goes more or less, for the long term, it may be costly!

Last edited: 19 Oct 2013
  16. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

not guaranteed,but yes micro bubbles can be a pain to livestock as well as our viewing..

17. Wesd

Wesd

A pump pushing microbubbles causes super saturation of the water, like humans cant breathe pure O2 for long periods neither can fish the respiratory system is just not made to handle it, flagtails are a good indicator of super saturation as they start to spiral and swim in loops.

I run an airstone in the corner of my 30L on hot days and it doesnt seem to have any ill effects, but the bubbles dont really get pushed around the tank

18. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

does it help cool down the water temperature?

19. Wesd

Wesd

it does help a bit and generally brings it down by a degree or two , i think its because it increases the rate of evapouration cooling

Recent Posts