Air intake for skimmer.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by DerekL, 4 May 2014.

1. DerekL

DerekL

I have been thinking about this for awhile now and want to drawn fresh air from outside of my house. Would it be possible to add an air hose from outside in and hooked up to the skimmers Venturi. I think that the fresh air could possibly help in our reef tanks. Another question I would have about this is that during our winters here it gets very cold would this cause great drops in my temperature or would it be minimal and something my heaters could handle. I know it is now spring time and it is starting to get warm so I wouldn't have to worry about that for awhile. Anyways let me know what you think and if any of you for see any issues in this.
    Thank you
    Derek

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Derek this is actually an option that D-D recommends. During the winter months the CO2 level in a house normally rises and one is not pulling fresh oxygen enriched air through the skimmer. This can cause Cyanobacteria to develop due to the increased CO2.

There will be a slight temperature drop but your heater should be able to handel it.

Last edited: 4 May 2014
    DerekL likes this.
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

My skimmer pulls air from outside. Especially if you have an enclosed sump cabinet, pulling in fresh air is a lot better. Else you just circulate old stale air over and over via the skimmer.

In winter with gas heaters and keeping the house closed up to keep the cold outside. That impacts you PH.

5. DerekL

DerekL Thread Starter

Thank you I didn't really for see many issues with doing this except the cold harsh winters we have here in Canada. I will do this mod today. The only foreseeable problem would be that my tank is about 6 feet away from a window that opens I don't think I am will to drill throughout my drywall and brick to get outside. I was thinking about running an air hose from the closest window over to the skimmer

6. cbotes

cbotes

This sounds very hardcore!

Recent Posts