Air bubbles

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Tim S, 26 Apr 2010.

1. Tim S

Tim S

When looking at my water, it is literally full of air bubbles. I can say with absolute certainty thet the bubbes don't come from the dsb. The air develops on the live rock & the substrate. I have 2 x 150 mh's and am thinking they are the culprets. Most of the bubbles are so small they dont rise but move with the water flow. Has anybody else experienced this?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Sorry for the stupid question, but how would the MH cause the bubbles ?

4. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

I think the bright light is drawing the air out the water causing it to form bubbles on the surface

5. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Sure it isnt just your return pump that sucks in these micro bubbles in the sump ?

6. brentnorm

brentnorm

My return definately does this. The impellor in the pump causes small bubbles.

7. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

It could be algae on the substrate and on the rock that produces oxygen bubbles.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Marius is correct, as well as the "normal working" of decent live rock - where the an-aerobic bacteria DEEP in the centre of the rock, work their "magic" - meaning that the nitrates are converted to nitrogen and oxygen (like in one's DSB)....

9. marinenoob

marinenoob

I too have this forming on my LR in large quantites almost look silverish in colour. Is this good or bad?

10. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

It is possible that the algea is causing this, but the bubbles even form on rocks that are not in the light due to an overhang and which don't have algea on them.
    My return pump draws water from the bottom of the last compartment below a layer of coral chips and live rock. The water does not overflow into this compartment as the level is the same as over the DSB section. So I'm absolutely certain that no bubbles can be sucked up by return pump. As Brent says, it might be possible that the pump impellor creates the bubbles, very difficult to see if this is the case. True or not this would then only be contributing but not the sole cause.
    I like Jacques' theory, sounds most plausable. Suppose there's nothing one could do about this as it's natural then.

Thanks for the commets all.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

For a test, use a smaller return pump for a day. If then there is no bubbles, then you know it is your normal return pump cavitating. Else if there is still bubbles, then it is your LR doing what it is supposed to do. Also the bacteria inside the rock do not need light.

Recent Posts