Aiptasia

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Kevin, 29 Dec 2008.

1. Kevin

Kevin

Does Aiptasia retract in lighting speed when disturbed?

I have what looks like an aiptasia living in a small hole. I cannot take a photo as it dissapears in lightning speed when approached.

I dont want to nuke it yet as I have a feeling it is a white dwarf feather duster. It has very fine tentacles which look like feather dusters.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Yes they do retract when disturbed. The same will apply to feather dusters. A pic will really help if you can.

4. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

I will try and get a pic tonight, nothing like a good challenge!

5. gaboon

gaboon

Does it retract when you approach or when you prod it. All my aptaisa (lots) just park off in all their glory! My guess is a feather duster.

6. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

It retracts when anybody walks up to the tank. I have to wait for a few minutes before it opens again, but even the slightest movement and it shoots back into its hole. It is extremely quick in retracting.

Its tentacles / gills are very fine and wave about in the current.

I looked up pictures of the white dwarf feather duster and it looks the same except I do not see any tube at all, unless the tube is inside the rock it lives in.

7. crispin

crispin

my personal guess would be feather duster rather than aptasia from your description.

what colour are the tentacles? Fine and wavey would sould more like a worm to me, but try get a pic and lets see:)

8. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

They are white, but seem to have a band of some colour around the middle. Cant see exactly what colour as this thing lives in a hole in the rock and not much light gets in. I tried shining a torch in the hole but it retracts when it sees the light.

9. crispin

crispin

ok, maybe he doesnt like light:) i feel pretty certain thats its a fan worm, watch the area and see if you can get a photo. How big is it, as in very small? i can post a pic of aptasia if you would like help to see what they look like, but i am pretty sure you got a nice filter feeding fan worm there:)

10. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

When it is open it is about the size of a R2 coin, when it retracts the hole is about half the size of a match head.

If it is a fan worm, what must I feed it?

11. crispin

crispin

a fan worm will be fine filtering stuff out the water colum which other things have missed. coral foods such as coral frenzie etc are all greatfully caught in the fan, as far as I am awear you wouldnt need to taget feed it anything specific.

R2 coin sized is a nice and big, sounds like you have a nice tank mate there:)

12. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Definitely sounds like a fan worm or feather duster. You will more than likely find quite a few more popping up as your tank matures. No need to feed them anything.

13. Peanut

Peanut

Can someone please remind me who are natrual preditors of apetasia?

I see about three heads on my liverock and want to know if they will disappear naturally or how do I treat them.

14. Kevin

Kevin Thread Starter

I have read that the red legged hermit crab chow them as well as the copperband butterfly fish. I have only read this and not actually seen it, but I am sure there are much better qualified guys here who can answer you.

15. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Peppermint shrimp and if you have a fish only tank you can get a Raccoon butterfly fish. Found some info on them the other day, but they may also coral and are not reef safe.

16. crispin

crispin

preditor controll for aptasia isnt really a great idea in my view. CBB will eat them. But not kill them. they retreat into holes for a while and will come back later. Pepermint shrimps will eat them too.

however if you get a aptasia feeding creatchure generally thats what they want to eat and as we dont grow aptasia as a food source (ok so warr went a little mental and tried but he is an exception) its better not to be looking for things that eat them as a way of controll. If you have a pepermint shrimp (i do for example) and he does eat aptasia great. but make sure they eat other things too, a CBB for example is very difficult to get to feed and is a poor chouce for the controll of aptasia.

Please do note these are my own personal feelings, i know full well the beauty of a CBB in tank and the joy of having him eat aptasia. Just dont get one to controll your aptasia, IF you ever get one, make sure it feeds and feeds well on a variety of things, if he nails aptasia and fan worms in the process thats a bonus

17. crispin

crispin

i saw a tank with mike in the UK which was sps dominated and the fella had gone with a beautiful little racccoon. stunning little fish. had a whole circuit through the tank from one sps to another, nibble nibble, move along..nibble nibble, next one.

the poor guy was almost red with rage and couldnt catch the raccoon, traps here, traps there etc.

It can go wrong:(

18. Peanut

Peanut

CBB???

19. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

That is Y I said not Reef safe and fish only.:p

I caught a little one the other day as I want a fish only tank.

20. crispin

crispin

sorry we use lots abreviations in reefing...CBB is a copper band butterfly fish. a very beautiful fish too:)

21. crispin

crispin

i was just making sure others get the point too:)

how far off are you from plans for fish only...you going angles and butterfly's?

Recent Posts