Aiptasia

Reaction score
Is it possible or probable that an Aiptasia would attach itself to the glass of the tank ?

Very much so, glass even in the substrate at the bottom of the tank. Have had them attaching to my sea weed to get to the light.

Is it possible or probable that an Aiptasia would attach itself to the glass of the tank ?

Very muchly, the weirs in my last tank had hundreds of the little darlings, didn't get to the display tank though.

Then I might have an infestation. Whats the best way to tackle them ? Have found another 2 but I am sure there will be more yet undetected.

Then I might have an infestation. Whats the best way to tackle them ? Have found another 2 but I am sure there will be more yet undetected.
Brentnorm. I got some Elimi aptaia from SIMS and an injection. One by one you zap them in the centre. It works well and they dont come back again.Bit of a pain to do but it works
0002006B.gif

Joe's juice or the the traditional needle and super concentration kalk solution

Yip you can,but Warr is right about the other stuff. I've heard that joes juice is pretty potent. Either way its a one by one job. 000202F7.gif

Don't peppermint shrimp work, had about six in my display and aiptasia was about the only thing I didn't have a problem with.

If they are on the glass i would just scrape them off with a blade, catch them in a net and throw them away.

Stupid Q....but why is this Aiptasia considered a nuisance and why dont ppl like it?

Aptasia's are very good if used/grown in a remote vessel connected to the tank. They are good for filtering water, but bad for other corals ;)

Aptasia's are very good if used/grown in a remote vessel connected to the tank. They are good for filtering water, but bad for other corals ;)

Yep, as long as you have a very efficient UV on the return, there is no way the Aips can get into your display tank.

Back
Top Bottom