Aiptasia

Death by lethal injection of kalkwasser works well i am told but the critters within well wat can one do

I probably have more than 200 of them. They have taken over in my tank. They are not causing anything bad at the moment, so I just leave them be.

I mean: when my tank crashed in January of this year, I had 0 SG (pure fresh-water) in my tank - NO SALT, NO INVERTEBRATES.... BUT bloody aptaisia survived!!!

Can you believe this?

I probably have more than 200 of them. They have taken over in my tank. They are not causing anything bad at the moment, so I just leave them be.
You are going to regret leaving them be!:(

Why do you say that Rod? What are you expecting that would happen?
They sting corals around them, and reproduce at an alarming rate. I have seen them sold to newbies! No names no pack drill!
I think the message we should be getting out to especially the new guys, is that Aiptasia are public enemy number three. Ammonia and Nitrite are one and two.:)

I must say - so far (even with my corals in the tank - I don't have TOO many corals yet though), that the only anemones that have stung my corals so far, are my LTA's... (and previously I had a condylactis passiflora - which unfortunately died when my tank crashed in Jan 07 - ALL my invertebrates died - BUT NOT THE APTAISIA - NOOooooo..
So I have been lucky so far not to have any fish being stung by aptaisia, neither to have any damage to any of my corals be done, by aptaisia. I hope for the best :)

Who was it that injects them with pool acid? Any one else using this?

That would be me, but honestly never had an aiptasia before but had lots of manjano anemones after i actually purchased one about 6 or 7 years ago as it looked quite cool, we all live and learn!

So Tom - doesn't the pool acid cause some negative reaction on your tank's life-stock?
I am using very little at a time as I am scared :( I use a insulin syringe for the small needle. ( You must try and explain to a chemist why you are looking for it :) LOL.. Aunty.. I want to give acid to my aiptasia :p) And then dilute the pool acid, suck it up and Nuke the baddies..

When the acid touches the lr you get a lot of bubbles, this I try and steer clear of the corals.. As for the fishies.. they are not affected, because the ratio of acid to water is very low. :1:

QUESTION:could you not try and put sand in its mouth to strangle it?

What is this Aiptasia plague you guys are talking about. I would like to see. Do you have any pics?

If there are any Cape Town Reefers who are having aiptasia problems, I have a solution. I have a copperband which goes aipsiht for them. I beg you to bring your rocks over to me for a clean.

My copperband seems uninterested in the aiptasia. But a quick squirt with vinegar does the trick. Works even better than kalk.

Hi Frank

You could also try Berghia Verrucicornis, its a Nudibranch that lives only on Aiptasia.

I kill about 20 aptasia a week with terminator.... its become part of my weekly water change routine ... SAD :(

Hi Frank

You could also try Berghia Verrucicornis, its a Nudibranch that lives only on Aiptasia.

Hi Komodo - where the heck does on get this: Berghia Verrucicornis??

Thanks, Jacques
BTW: This nudi will have a FEAST in my tank!

Hi Jacques

You will find in the sea:nono: ha ha

I'm not sure if we get it in S.A, But the indian Nudibranch(Aeolidiella indica) also eat anemones and is found in intertidal pools all over S.A,might be worth a try.

I dont know what it will do to other corals.:whistling:

You can find a pick in the Two oceans book on pg 176 # 83.6

Back
Top Bottom