Aiptasia X and Anemones

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by scubaninja, 5 Aug 2010.

1. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hi Brenda

Do you know if using aiptasia X which kills aiptasia( duh :p ) - a type of anemone, is safe to use in a tank with other anemones whose lives we actually would like to preserve? For example my BTAs? I could possibly remove both from one tank and settle them in the other(same system) and then cut that tank off from the communal sump and run it with its own skimmer for the time that i am bombing stuff? Would really not like collateral damage here

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

Scuba. Aiptasia-X is made of natural components formed into a thick, adhesive mixture that globulates on contact with salt water. It is injected directly to the oral disk of the anemone, stimulating it to ingest the material. The adhesive globules seal the mouth of the anemone's oral disk and mouth preventing it from releasing its planulas. The anemone will implode within a minute or so, thus eradicating both the anemone and planulas so it won't release them into the water column and thus multiply. The globules do not effect sessile corals so you can even administer this stuff to aiptasia that are embedded in corals. The Aiptaisia-X decomposes over time and doesn't harm the reef.

Since it must be administered into the oral disk in order to work, I would say it will not harm any other anemones in the system (unless you shoot it into their oral disks). I've used it a lot over the past years. Some aiptaisia I get and others I miss. The one's that I don't treat directly are perfectly well and continue to grow and multiply.

Fortunately I have mostly beat my aiptasia problem with peppermint shrimp. I know that doesn't always work but I was fortunate... got them very small and since they have to compete for food I guess they figured it's aiptasia or nothing.

scubaninja likes this.
  4. Anemone

Anemone

I have never used this product, but those that I have used, I have not had a problem. Just don't hit the anemones that you want to keep. I also don't recommend killing off a large number at once. You don't want to foul the water from the dead aiptasia.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2010
  5. Sentari

Sentari

Awesome product! Works like a charm. I havent seen one aiptasia come back. I can truely say its something that every reefer should keep incase you get one or 2.

6. scubaninja

scubaninja Thread Starter

Ok cool. Just really dont want to do something stupid like kill a BTA when i'm trying to nuke a little bugger. I do have one or two aiptasia attached to the same rocks as the nennies so maybe i will leave them till last. Thanks guys

7. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

It won't hurt any other anemones unless you squirt it directly into the oral disc

8. CliveS

CliveS

I so agree! Its amazing stuff

Last edited: 1 May 2011
Recent Posts