Aiptasia Problem.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nemo321, 15 Aug 2013.

1. Nemo321

Nemo321

Hey guys how do I get rid of aiptasia ?? it has basically taken over my tank and some of it is growing on my corals, I have tried injecting it with a sharp needle and putting in lemon juice..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Braco

Braco

i was also told vinegar..personally i used lemon juice but noticed 2 or 3 days later Aiptasia is back..maybe try Vinegar or if all else fails rather buy Aiptasia X

4. Trasique

Trasique tahir

Kalkwasser would be a better option I think.

Make a Kalk slurry, switch off all pumps then apply it into and around the aptaisia.
    Switch the pumps back on after about ten minutes.

If the tank is infested heavily its best to treat in sections over a number of days, because kalkwasser will impact ph if over dosed.

5. Floyd

Floyd

Get a Copperband.

6. ScottK

ScottK

AiptasiaX has always worked well for me

7. Ikraam

Ikraam

hey get a copper band or aptaisha file eating fish

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

You have basically three options. Chemical removal, biological control and mechanical removal.
    The first and last options require hard work and patience. While the second options requires some divine intervention, as not all copperbands will eat aiptasia, File fish will be the best bet, but they are not common and you could end up with a fish that has a taste for sps at a later stage.
    Chemical eradication is time consuming. I would stay away from vinegar as it is a carbon source and overdosing could lead to an algal bloom. Like Trasique said Kalk is good, but be careful with with pH swings. Lemon juice is the cheapest, and quite effective, so is Joes Juice.
    Mechanical removal is the hardest as it means you need to clean rock systematically in sections over a number of weeks and maybe months. Remove the rock and scrub it with RO and brush, place back into the tank and in a few days repeat the process with a new rock. during this time you should be dosing some form of bacterial suppliment for your tank. Remember, don't do all the rock at the same time, as this will kill you bacteria from your live rock.

9. Quintin

Quintin

Aiptasia-X works but it has issues....
    Aiptasia-X review

Or you can try:
    1. Aiptasia eating nudibrach. (I know Dorry and Idol sell these from time to time).
    2. Copperband Butterflyfish
    3. Peppermint Shrimp
    4. Aiptasia eating filefish

10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Idol marine do have stock of the coils, long term plan here.

11. Trasique

Trasique tahir

My experience with biological treatment is they are mostly hit and miss, apart from the nudis I've had copperbands, filefish and pepper mints all were a miss in my case, I know they work for many but didn't in my case even though I've had several specimens of each

Aptaisia X and joes juice (IMO this is repackaged Kalk) needs several reapplications to be effective so if the aptaisia numbers are low it's ok, but if its severe you'll run through several bottles.

In the end I resorted to removing my rocks, "cooking them" for reuse.

NB high PO4 will cause them to spread like wild fire.

12. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I have tried everything...then I made a mixture of water and kalkwasse..(yes...even injected with kalkwasse)..took one rock at a time and lightly scrubbed with toothbrush and mixture and then scrubbed with saltwater(water change) to make sure I got most off...and I mean scrubbed good...it worked like a bomb..one rock a week and scrub well...I can kick myself for not doing this earlier, but I guess I was worried about the PH...but with a lightly applied mixture and major toothbrush scrubbing followed by an even harder saltwater scrubbing, to "rinse"...you really can't go wrong...however, do still check the PH...thankfully mine didn't climb at all...

13. Snoek

Snoek

I had the same issue 3 months ago and tried using Aiptasia X. I managed to get a Aiptasia eating File fish and a peppermint shrimp and after 3 weeks I had almost no Aiptasia.

14. 4age

4age

i used a peppermint shrimp..noticed that they are lazy to move around the tank so wont travel to eat aptasia..just moved aptasia rock to where the peppermint used to hide..next morning the aptasia is gone

15. Dian6430

Dian6430

Sorry for hi jacking but i have a small one thats coming out of my zoa frag that i bought. Its very small so cant inject it. Any ideas as we dont have livestock to buy like peppermint shrimp.

16. Dane G

Dane G

I luckily had a camel shrimp that ate them, and then I have a peppermint shrimp that clean up a few small one but I started my system with dead rock and dosed with special blend to get my system going so thank full I went this route any apatsia can in on frags but like I said my tank is free on them

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  17. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Can you take the frag out of the Tank...? If you can, then either cut it out...or use a toothbrush and SCRUB off...or even chisel it off if it's in a spot where you can...if neither of those..them drop some "mixture" from ...say a dropper.. and drop some on the Aiptasia..I use Kalkwasse "paste"..you can use vinegar, lemon juice, Joe's Juice, Aiptasia X...etc...

18. Braco

Braco

the kalkwasser method i need to try as well..will do it this week-end i only have a few but i need to get them out of the way..

19. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I also had a huge apitasia problem. Ifound these draw backs
    Chemical is difficult as it only targets one at a time can be costly.
    biological requires fish or nudies to eat the aipitasia
    mechanical ie a zapper also requires individual targeting.

20. Braco

Braco

Reading on some articals different folks had various sucess factors with the above..for some it's biological and for others mechanical..i suppose i have to keep on keeping and see what works for me...Thanks again Butcherman..

21. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

i had to use all three to make a dent in my population

Recent Posts