Aiptasia - my experiences

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by rakabos, 4 Nov 2010.

1. rakabos

rakabos

Ok

So like most of us we all have to deal with these little buggers. Here is what ive tried and the results...

Method1 - Syringe with Tropic Marin ELIMI-AIPTAS
    Physically injecting the anemones with this stuff worked about 60% or so of the time, with some needing 2 or 3 subsequent injections. Difficulty - High, the anemones retract very quickly and are hard to inject. Cost R150

Method2 - Electric zapper

Created by scubaninja and sold at a few shops online. You power up the unit and try and jab the anemone with the electric needle. It worked on some and not at all on other. Difficulty - High, the needle is quite thick and you cant reach the hard-to-get-to ones. Cost R300 or so

Method3 - Butterfly fish
    They are hit and miss and will in all likelyhood nip your corals. I had no luck with this. Cost R200+

Method4 - Peppermint shrimps
    Also hit and miss. I have had one for a long time and he didnt eat them. I then put two more in and have seen a decrease in aips in my tank. So i guess its a numbers game. Cost R150 or so

Method5 - Aiptasia X from Red Sea i think
    For manual intervention so far this is the best in my opinion. You have a syringe again but u dont inject the anemone. It's more a case of feeding it. The syringe comes with two needle points, one is straight, one is bent at the tip for the hard-to-get-to ones. I have had 100% success with this. The aips just suck it up and a minute or two later they are gonnerz. Highly recommended solution. Cost R200

There are a few other products and methods such as joe's juice and lemon/vinegar/kalk injections. These i have not tried so cant comment. Feel free to add to my post...

viper357 likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ash

Ash Coral biologist

Great post! thank you. I'll be trying your method 5 soon

4. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

I found 2 in my tank recently.
    Going to paint them with a thick kalk paste

5. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

i done that to 1, really kaked it up, the bugger still lived. his lighty bru perished but the big bru is still alive

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Kalk paste, injecting kalk/lemon juice/vinegar/etc only made the problem worse.
    So far the only thing that has worked ws Aptasia X. ONly problem with it is the needle they suply is rather large and difficult to use on the tiny ones.

Wouldnt mind giving the zapper a try too...

7. Ross

Ross

I used Kalk the other day and some fell on my Alien Eye and now the skeleton is showing. Alien Eye looks really bad, will never do that again.

8. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

What I found that works like a bomb is a combination of Red Sea Aiptasia X and Tropic Marine Elimi-Aiptas 50/50. The ones that I've managed to hit have not come back! Now to figure out how to get to the hard to reach under the rock basterds!

9. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

I've tried Aiptasia-X and it does work great! For the little ones you just put it on top of them and it usually takes care of them. The only problem is that there are many hiding deep within the tank that you never see.

I think you're also correct on the "numbers game" with Peppermint Shrimp. It almost seems like you need at least 2 for them to 'work' on the aiptasia. I put 3 in my 700 lt tank and NO aiptasia in the Display area. There are several in the corner overflows and sump though (which I don't really care about).

Last edited: 24 May 2011
  10. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

I (unfortunately) do not have this luck!!! I have 4 peppermint shrimp now, and they just wait for me to feed live brine nauplii every evening, then they come to feast!!! :banghead:

Useless!!! Aiptasia X works well, but as you said, there are spots one cannot get to, so they just keep on spawning... :dft004:

Last edited: 24 May 2011
  11. athol@irender.co.za

athol@irender.co.za

My answer to Aptasia - Steam them out !

About 3 months ago I found a few Aiptasia in my DT and after reading all the possible solutions to this problem, I decided to try and steam the little buggers to death.

I connected up our household Steam Cleaning Machine, added a cup of RO/DI water, switched it on, and placed the steaming spout outlet right onto the Aiptasia for about 30 seconds.

I have never seen another one of them since...Works for me !;)

[​IMG]

12. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

Umm, well there's your problem. You feed them too well!! Let them go hungry once in a while and aiptasia will look pretty good to them ;)

BTW, do you get lots of egg batches? Seems like one of mine is always carrying eggs. The corals go NUTS when they hatch. :thumbup:

13. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

I cannot starve them, as I will then starve my NPS coral too... :p

14. Yuri

Yuri

Good IDE do you rent out your steamer

15. Donovan

Donovan

Well if any one wants to practice there aiptasia removing skills you welcome to my 6ft aip garden i am losing the fight but eventually i think i will whin the war

16. lIghty

lIghty

Spill the beans! I can offer a tank with some serious Aiptasia :p

17. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Sodium hydroxide has to be the cheapest and as effective if not more so than most brands. it is necessary to inject though to work but they will not return.

18. archiecrain

archiecrain

I cant think of anything being easier than Aptasia X....I dont evan worry about injecting it I just carpet bomb the are the buggers are in.... getting the big ones and all the small ones in pretty much one go...

It may not be the cheapest, but sure takes the headache out of getting rid of them.

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

ok, my experience,
    Chemical warfare, do not work. Even Aiptasia-X. Small ones always returns a few weeks later where the big ones died. And i have a feeling that Aiptasia-X also affect Zoa's and button polyps.

Biological
    Aiptasia-eating Filefish. Helps, but he only eats in the lower half of the tank. And does not eat that many aiptasia either. And do not like high flow water areas in your tank. Interesting fish to have. Weird fish actually.

Peppermint shrimps. 1 or 2, does not work. 4 or 5, yeah, that helps. But do not overfeed them, else they will give the aiptasia a miss. Not feeding them enough, and they do go cannibalistic on each other. Especially when one moults. The other just attacks it. But this can be fixed by not having too many, and having enough space to get away from each other. I had 15, now down to 12. But Peppermints do their part in controlling aiptasia. Strange thing is, the aiptasia do not retract as usual if a peppermint attach it. As if aiptasia stays open trying to sting the peppermint back. And it does seems to be doing that. All the shrimps will attach one aiptasia until its gone, before moving on.

Butterfly fish. I got a Kleinni butterfly. It works. Better fish to maintain than a Copperband. Problem is as the fish nips the aiptasia, it pulls back. At the end of the day, your tank do look clean, but as soon as you remove the fish, the aiptasia will return in 3 days, eventually opening up again. Trick here is to have the aiptasia pulled back until it starves.

@Yuri, my aiptasia farm is gone, down to a few here and there. Come and see the difference. Do you still want a few of the Peppermint shrimps?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Aiptasia x works, but sometimes more than one dose is required, and yes it DEFINITELY affects corals around it. So be carefull when administering it. I wish there was a simple answer too Aiptasia but there isnt. At least once a month i go in and kill 5 or so of them, they will never stop i imagine

21. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

what I have done is,squirt some boiling r/o on the aiptasia and then stick some pratley putty over it. Sure it leaves a white mark,but you need so little pratley.just enough to cover it. You can also remove it after a while when the bugger is dead.Its not gonna work if you have alot of aiptasia though as it is a bit of a mission. Ive never tried any other method to say any of them are easier. Found this on the internet when I saw my first one,tried it and have never tried any other way.

Recent Posts