Aiptasia Infestation counter measures

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jaco Schoeman, 7 Feb 2011.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi peeps...

All right - I knew that I would reach this point, so now I will need some input...

With keeping the dedicated NPS tank and feeding so very heavily (espically live brine) I have seen the aiptasia in my tank exploding lately into massive numbers...

They were always there, and there is no harm in having 1 or 2 of them, but I am facing an infestation.

The larger ones I zap with a product from Tropic Marin, but I cannot get to all of them, as some stay under my scaping. The smaller ones do not pose too much of a threat, as the NPS are quite capable of standing their ground.

But if I just leave the smaller ones to grow large untill I can zap them, then the tank will be overrun with aiptasia that will be a force that I cannot stop, and eventually they will win the fight agains the NPS - especially the gorgonians.

Now, what is the best line of attack here, that has the best guarantee of results?

Firstly, please do not even mention removing the rocks, as this cannot happen. I have sun coral babies growing all over the place...

So, I know that CBB fish work well, and aparantly so does Longnose Butterflies. I know there is also an aiptasia eating hermit crab - yet I have no idea as to how they look or where to find them.

My other problem with a CBB is that my tank is only 700x450x450, so I cannot keep a large specimen. I also have small tube worms in the tank, so the CBB might take them out too - something I would like to prevent, but if that is what it takes then so be it. I also know that some CBB's never take aiptasia at all - which is then a waste.

What can you guys recommend I use - with the best guaranted results?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Collie

Collie

My Banner fish took care of most of them, but also my pollops, currently i'm using lime juice to good affect. Aiptisia x also a good product but costley.

4. Dane

Dane

In your situation I think a group of peppermint shrimp are your best bet....

5. archiecrain

archiecrain

IMO Aptasia X is only viable in a smaller setup.....I think the price of the stuff could be prohibitivly expensive on a large tank with dozens of large Aptasia.....

Although the stuff works like a bomb, one zap of the stuff and its game over Aptasia, It work well on the small ones, you can almost carpet bomb the area for them to never return.....

6. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

Hey Jaco,

I've tried all the methods. Kalk and the zapper were the best 'non natural' way BUT after finally getting a CBB that survived and ate aips - ITS the BEST way. I went through 4 CBBs before I finally got one that did the trick.

I still have him and now he lives on mysis as there aint a single aip in my tank anymore.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

For an experiment I got 2 peppermint shrimps in a 60L with one big rock full of aptasia. Not feeding them, so if hungry, they better start eating aptasia. So far, after 3 weeks, no impact yet. The shrimps are still there, checked yesterday, and yip, they are there. If they are eating aptasia, they must be targeting the really small ones. Not that I could see the difference.

8. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

You see there is that guarantee I am talking about... Even with CBB, there aint any...

I still say what we should do is have like a CBB club... So if we identify a CBB that eats aiptasia, we lend it out to others. They have it to clean up their tanks and once done, they again lend it to another reefer... A bit like prostitution, but hell, if it works why not. :blush:

9. Dane

Dane

I have heard that they are only effective in groups. Its a concern of mine as well. But apart from Berghia nudibranchs almost any biocontrol you try will potentially be hit and miss

10. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

I had massive numbers of aiptasia in my tank at one point. I added 2 x Peppermint Shrimp and they cleared all of the aiptaisia within 2 weeks. I was also using the Aiptaisia X product and what I couldn't get, the Peps did get.

I got mine from Idol Marine.

I have tried the Tropic Marin product with absolutely no effect. The aiptasia returned a few days later. It's a useless product in my experience. It also doesn't prevent the aiptasia producing spores once they are injected. So you kill 1 and create 100 more...

11. Suhayl

Suhayl

I inject some kalk past ontop of the apstasia. They hate it as it actually burns them.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yeah, but the problem is to get the copperband out of your tank, ready to go to the next tank.

Better to have a dedicated brothel. A 90L to 150L where the copperband and peppermints stay, lights, DSB complete setup. And the customers bring their liferock to be serviced by the experienced staff.:p

13. Garethmur

Garethmur

Where the like button?

14. Riddi

Riddi

I have the same issue with aiptasia I am currently starting to remove my rock and to nuke these suckers.
    I have one rock with aiptasia big enough to take out damsels.:eek:
    So I will be following this thread closely

15. Jaco Schoeman

The one problem I have experienced with CBB and suncoral before, is that the CBB will take food from the suncoral, in some instances even tearing off some tissue.:(

Now I have to admit that back then I was feeding frozen mysis shrimp, where as I am now only feeding live brine nauplii, so whether or not the CBB will try to steal those remains to be seen...

I am just scared that the peppermint shrimp in fact be taken out by some of the aiptasia, as I really have some large ones lurking under rocks where I cannot get to them...

Another concern to me is the three large tube anemone's that will have a wonderfull meal of those shrimp - I might just have to make them a nice garlic butter sauce to go along with it...

16. student

student

Im another who had huge success with peppermint shrimps. started chowing them the day added.

17. Jaco Schoeman

But did they take out the larger specimens too?

18. Dane

Dane

19. Dane

Dane

20. Riddi

Riddi

21. gecco

gecco

Build myself a zapper, and what joy it is to zap them away!!

Recent Posts