aiptasia help needed

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by barixboy, 7 Aug 2011.

1. barixboy

barixboy

hey guys, bought some LR and noticed that aiptasia is popping up what can be done to remove them without removing the LR from the tank.

also have bristle worms that came with the rock, any ideas of how i can remove them

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

You can go the chemical route to remove them, Aiptais-X or Joes juice work wel. Else you could get some pepermint shrimp or copperband butterfly to help control.
    Bristl worms are good for a tank. If you really dont like them, some wrasses will eat them.

4. wukkie

wukkie

I would say get rid of them ASAP. I have tried the Chemical route, but with not much luck. I have now gone the natural route, and some hard labour on my part. So I remove the rock, just one at a time and I scrape them off, I then use a brush to clean the area, and rinse the rock off in old water. I think return the rock. I have to butterflies in the tank at the moment, not sure who is eating the stuff, but since I started with my manual cleaning, the rest if the bigger ones seem to be going way as well. So I think my buterflies have learnt to eat the stuff. I did seem my small Racoon eat one that I had damage with my glass cleaner.

Best of luck.

5. crispin

crispin

as 459 has said, its best to inject the aptasia in the tank with a sollution of some kind. there are many options, but aptasia X or a strong sollution of kalkwasser seem to be the best. Make sure you put the needle straight into them as they will contract into the hole and slowly inject a good dose into each one. If you have some comming out in hard to reach places, take that peice of LR out and inject it in a bucket of tank water so its easier to controll.

i DO NOT suggest a copperband as a way to remove aptasia, they on occasion do eat aptasia, but not kill it and it will return with a vengance if you loose the CBB, which im afraid to say happens all to often in marine tanks. Very few have had long term success with CBB, indeed id go so far as to say they should be left alone in the wild and not removed to controll aptasia in tanks.

bristle worms are excelent at cleaning up the tank for you, let em be :)

6. crispin

crispin

hmmmm that doesnt sound like a great way to controll aptasia to me. if you scrape them and brush them and leave the slightest piece on the LR you are effectivley propogating them realy fast. Direct injection is the best method IMHO, just make sure you inject deep and hard.

Butterflies as a predatory controll of aptasia are a last resort. ive heard of people quiting the hobby after adding a racoon in to eat the aptasia (which he kidly did) and then proceeded to wipe out almost all corals in a 2.5m tank and was impossible to catch. the racoon was the last fish out that system in the end.

inject the things, safer, easier and better on the environment :)

7. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

aiptasia x and inject them. As soon as i see them,no matter how small ill inhect them. and I can say,no aiptasia in my tank. touch wood. as @crispin said,if you scrape them and leave some behind its gonna get worse and worse.the cooll thing about aiptasia is you can do it inside the tank and no need to take the rock out of the tank.also, if you see an aiptasia thats small,dont say,ill inject it tomorrow and then tomorrow becomes a week and before you know it youve got a problem. inject them as soon as you see them and you shouldnt have a problem. ill also leave the bristle worms. they good for your setup.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

One way is to nuke them but if all else fails burn the buggers with a small pencil tourch, I do that sometimes I only do this if it really gets out of hand. Remember if you do burn them make sure you do not inhale the toxic fumes if possible run a fan to blow the fumes away when burning. Just my 2c

9. Bluemotion

Bluemotion

Get hold of some peppermint shrimp, worked for me.

10. Mrabkin

Mrabkin

my easiest way s cheap and soooo effective!

one teaspoon lemon juice, one teaspoon vinegar, one syringe with needle.... spike!

its all natural, and no damage to anything except the aip.

11. Ross

Ross

Another option guys are looking at, is an electronic Zapper. You pass a curren t through them and it toasts them. It is the only route I have left with mine........

12. Mrabkin

Mrabkin

@Ross, have you tried injecting with lemon juice or vinegar?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Ross

Ross

Yip, Aptasia-X, Joe's Juice, White Vinegar, Black Vinegar, Kalk mix, lemon juice, lemon and mixed eith kalk and kalk mixed with vinegar. Tried all combinations and it just makes them more angry.

I restarted the one side of my tank about two months ago, rocks out, Aptasia hit with Hydrochloric acid and brushed off... coming back strong again.

I am out of ideas..... just waiting for some stainless wire to build a new zapper, last time or I will get the original version.

14. Mrabkin

Mrabkin

Man, thats hardcore!!

I have never had aip that hectic!

Best luck dude!

15. wukkie

wukkie

Ross, I feel your pain. I am trying my manaul method for now. If this does not solve the problem. Then my plan is to give all the rocks a good bleach bath, and acid wash. I know this kills everything, but I don't mind. I am planing to swith over to Zeovit, shortly. So I will be starting the tank over any way.
    Crispin, the buterflies will be homed in my sump once I swith over to Zeo, as this is where the current rock will be living. Strating with dry rock in the DT.

16. crispin

crispin

you dont plan to keep butterflies in your sump do you?

17. wukkie

wukkie

Yes I do, The sum is about 300liters, with an overflow to the return pump. the skimmer is not housed in the sump.

18. barixboy

barixboy Thread Starter

thanks for the advise guys

Recent Posts