Aiptasia filter...

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Annoying, 2 Jan 2012.

1. Annoying

Annoying

Hey

Has anyone doen this with success and how can I achieve a nice breeding setup in the sump. The idea is to have a seprate compartment in my sump just to breed aiptasia for maybe a copperband in the future but more likely for nutrient exports. I would like to know what lighting would be best for about 30cm deep water? I was thinking maybe two 40W CFL's. I'm willing to try this and I know the risks, whould just like your input.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

From my experiences trying to get rid of them I would say "NOOOOOOOOOOO" :p

My suggestion would be to "breed" them in a seperate system completely.

Then again I am a noob at this hobby still but risking an Aptasia farm in your display system would make my skin crawl sir :blush:

4. Adee

Adee

You have an aptasia eating copper and in your display tank?

I have hundreds of them growing in my live rock sump. Though I would think u would need a fair amount to aid with keeping ur tank clean.

5. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

They will infest your entire tank, so you will need to breed them in a seperate system.
    You will then have to place your copperband in the aptaisia system for feeding.

Copperbands will be fine without aptaisia :)

6. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

No not yet this is totally in the planning mode. I want the best of both worlds from a pest, making it a food and some sort of nutrient export even if it is juts a little.

Yes but natural foods do increase the health of the fish and also the time I have to get it to eat prepared foods. The idea is to have like nine pieces of live rock in the sump and then switching a rock every week from display to sump. This will give time for the aiptasia to spread to the rock that has been eaten clean

Yes I know these are hard to get rid of but that is where the copperband comes in. Any aiptasia that escapes the sump will be eaten in the main display. I hope this makes sence, it does to me:whistling:, but that's just me:biggrin:

Last edited: 3 Jan 2012
  7. Evo R

Evo R

Aptaisia reproduces via spores. When ever the aptiasia is threaten it will release mass amounts of tiny tiny spores. These then travel in the water coloum and attaches itself to any hard surface. I had aptiasia growing on my glass!! There is NO way of isolating it to a certian part of your tank without it spreading, multiplying and taking over your tank!! O and they sting so bad that they can kill your softies!!

So in my opinion.....look at other methods for feeding your copperband.

8. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Question....are you 100% sure that your Copperband even eats Aptaisia?

Otherwise I would still seriously not advise allowing Aptaisia to grow freely in any part of you display system sir. These things truly are dangerous and will eventually take over your tank :(

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How will you prevent the Aiptasia from spreading to your display?

10. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Ok just to clear up any misconceptions... I do not have a copperband at the moment:lol:. This is purely research and thinking.

@Evo R as far as I know and I could be wrong, aiptasia prefer to produce by either budding or leaving a piece of itself behind when it moves. The only release spores when there is no other way out. This is just what I read and also my experience with them.

With my previous copperband (before my tank overheated about 2 years ago) it cleaned out my entire tank of aiptasia in about a month(about 30 or so aiptasia) and then for almost 5 months lived completely on my pod population untill the overheating happened. This was my favourite fish at the time and the heating problem has been solved and I want to try again in the future. I will be doing research to find an aiptasia eating copperband and also hopefully prepared foods( prepared to wait untill I finally get one). All spores/pieces if released from the aiptasia will quickly be eaten by the copperband once attached and growing as in an other thread said the copper prefers smaller aiptasia nennies. This will not just give an active amount of nennies for the cbb to eat but also I will be able to keep the display clear.

Is it possible or should I just forget it?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

It's not so much preventing them from getting to the display but rather preventing them from being able so survive in the display again due to the cbb

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Then, how and where do those that is on my sump glass come from?

Any chemical attack that failed will cause them to release spores.

Copperbands do not actually finish off Aiptasia, but rather nip them into hiding. Hopefully forcing them to starve. Remove Copperband and they back.

13. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Ok sounds like it's a no go:(, thanks for the replies guys always good to find out before you do something

14. colbar

colbar

I hate to throw a spanner in the works and disagree with everyone. I have had Aiptasia growing in the overflow compartments for about 2 years. My CBB always cleared the DT I have never had a problem. Unforunately he died about 2 months ago and I still do not have 1 Aptasia growing despite the fact that the overflow boxes are choc a block with Aptasia. I think the important issue is to make sure the CBB you get eats Aptasia. I have got new CBB in the QT which also had tons of Aptasia. but the new guy has also eaten every single one. I am now placing live rock in the overflow
    and will place into the DT every week or so.

15. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

This was also my experience but I think I'll stay on the safe side for now. Who knows maybe one day we will run aiptasia in our sumps instead of chaeto:lol:

Recent Posts