Aiptasia Eating Filefish

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Kunhardt, 9 Jul 2012.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Anyone had any experience with these guys? Our LFS is getting some in and I am seriously looking into getting one for my tank...read up on them on the overseas forums and ppl have had a lot of success with very few incedents where they have nipped any corals so does sound promising...I believe they are jumpers though since the few that have come into town before are no longer alive, jumped out the tank from my understanding.

[​IMG]

Some info from Liveaquaria for those of you who havent heard of them and are sick of trying with peppermint shrimps and Copperband butterflies...

Matted Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus)

QUICK STATS Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons Care Level: Moderate Temperament: Peaceful Reef Compatible: With Caution Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025 Max. Size: 3½" Color Form: Green, Tan Diet: Omnivore Origin: Indonesia

The Matted Filefish is also known as the Bristletail Filefish, Matted Leatherjacket, Tomentosus Filefish, or Aiptasia Eating Filefish. The body is a mottled green, brown, and tan coloration.

It is a shy fish, and rarely aggressive towards other fish except those of its own genus. It is best suited for aquariums 30 gallons or larger that does not contain small invertebrates.
    The Matted Filefish is known to eat Aiptasia anemone in the home aquarium, but normally nips at soft and stony corals as well. The diet should include shaved shrimp, squid, scallop, mysis shrimp, freeze-dried krill soaked in a vitamin supplement, and frozen marine algae. The Matted Filefish should be fed small quantities of food several times per day. These fish have been known to spawn in captivity, and males are normally large than the females, having fine bristle-like hairs on each side of their body down the caudal peduncle or base of the tail.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i have one in my one tank, never touched aiptasia, so i placed its food near one and it started to nibble on them, took a month or so
    also it never touches corals

[​IMG]

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

I say best is to just give it a go. I dont know anyone else who has one. I know that fancy blue file fish loves sps polyps so there may be the risk of that

5. saaid

saaid

Yesterday I was moving my zoas around because I spotted some Aptasia on the base rock and my Picasso Trigger came and chomped it! There is still one left which is at an awkward place though. I do not have any proof of this but have read up on it and seems others have experienced the same. Just some useless info:whistling:

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

@RiaanP ...don't you still have one...?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I do have one.

Interesting fish. But they do not like high flow areas. Neither the top part of the tank. So there the aiptasia is still a bit of an issue, until I get the vinegar out.

Strange fish, that also change colour if it is in feeding mode or not.

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks Dallas, will give it a go and try out your technique if it doesnt take to the aiptasia quickly...do they take flake or only frozen prepared foods? I hear they take to prepared foods easily, but no one ever really said what types.

Nah I think the sps are safe...I read one or 2 ppl had a problem with them and their zoas and some LPS like brains.

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Hmmm the few aiptasia I have tend to be near the top of the tank...could be an issue, maybe pump positioning can play a part here?

10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Hey guys, just saw a video on you tube about file fish eating Manjano anemones too, follow the link;

let me know if if you come right Kunhardt, they look like very nice fish to keep. wouldn't mind getting one too.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Yip I also read they flatten Majano's.

12. dallasg

@Kunhardt mine swam every where, top, bottom and mid water, as for flow never bothered him.
    i feed flakes and frozen mysis

13. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

This is good news indeed! Thanks Dallas!! :thumbup:

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

keep us posted Mark! Would like to see how this goes

15. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Supposed to be coming in on Thursday, so if they arrive on the shipment will take one and keep you posted.

16. Seabass

Seabass

They are very active in a tank, I think that due to there unusual look I like them even more.

One guy in el has two in his tank. Good luck with it. Which shipment is it?

And do you know if they have yt on this shipment. Need to replace my lost yt.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2012
  17. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Interesting fish, @dallasg, how long have you had your guy and how big do they grow? tank size and any specific requirements?

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Animal Kingdom had 4 in their display tank. They did pair off and 2 kept to one side of the tank and the other 2 to the other side. That tank was one big sinularia and the rest Aiptasia. They did clean it out very quickly. Later they did move the one pair out. So yes, they can be kept in pairs.

19. dallasg

a year so far, about 6cm, 300L tank, like all fish, just keep things stress free :)

20. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

I heard Andrews two went missing? Did they reappear?

What happend to you YT? This is the first I am hearing of this! :eek:
    There should be some in the shipment on Thursday as its a US order. :)

21. Seabass

Seabass

They not missing, seen one yesterday, the other not seen. However another Mark spotted both this weekend.

Thanks for the heads up on yt. Yes mine died a couple months ago. So I want a replacement as they are stunning fish. IMO.

Recent Posts