Aiptasia Eating Filefish aka Matted Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus)

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by dallasg, 25 Nov 2013.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Guys,

i see these are becoming a popular addition, while we all want our aiptasia gone, remember that a) these guys will not always eat your aiptasia b) normally nips at soft and stony corals as well

a friendly warning
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

I Brought one of these matted file fish about 3 months ago and he has behaved him self since i added him to the tank i am pretty much clear of aiptasia except for one that i think would be the predator if he tried to eat it way to big for him to tackle

all in all a lovely addition to the tank with a very funny swimming action and and great personaliy when i come close to the tank he is right close to the glass staring

4. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

they are great, but as a species they are not reef safe

5. 001Taz

001Taz

mine been with me for about 2 years now. never taken an eye for any coral. loves his aptasia (the ones he can reach) and just such an awesome personality

6. Dylant

Dylant

what about inverts?

7. 001Taz

001Taz

never touched them either. got a bunch of all sorts

Last edited: 26 Nov 2013
  8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

As juveniles they are model citizens. They do not bother any other fish, and nobody else bothers them. OK, not sure if similar species would bother each other. But between a filefish and angel or tang you will not have issues.

You can even get a mated pair. They will hang around together. Really cool.

But they can turn to corals nippers when adult. Not to say they all will. But they can.

They do not like very strong flow either. Due to their swimming style they tend to stay away from strong powerheads. And they stay to the deeper parts of your rockwork. They do not like to go above the rocks where it is really shallow. Previous tank the rocks were even higher than my current tank, and mine never ventured into the top 25cm of the tank. Not sure if it was just his behavior, or do they all do it.

9. Maddy

Maddy

Ive had mine for a while now. Unfortunately does not eat aiptasia. He loves the shrimp I feed at night. Should I starve him a day or two and see if he turns to the aiptasia?

10. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

No

11. seank

seank

Have mine for two weeks. Swim all over the tank, upper and lower levels. Only thing is, have not touched an Aptasia yet, but have taken a liking in mini Feather Duster worms which I do not mind as they a pest in my tank. Would love toe see the Aptasia being attacked but unfortunately nothing yet.
    Oh, and he uses the current as a "playing field"

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Mine did not like the area directly in front of the MP40
    But he does use the currents and he floats around like a piece of sea grass.
    @seank your tank is deep. Does yours swim into the top 150mm of the display?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. seank

seank

Yes Riaan. It goes all the way up to the top, but only on the section of the tank where the rockwork goes right to the top.
    On 3 occassions we had to take him out of the overflow as well, as he went over the top.

14. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Mine loves the flow an chandlers it very well, often find it swimming around the pumps.
    I have yet to see mine eat an aiptasia but the population suddenly dropped about three months after adding it. Not sure if it's eating them at night or just while not looking.

15. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

I have two of these in my tank and I have zero aiptasia as a result of their efforts.

One is older and larger then the other and they are a great pair to watch in the aquarium. However its not all roses here in my piece of Eden.

I did come home a few weeks back to a 1/3rd piece missing from my prized Elegance coral which I subsequently lost. Even though I had tried to stop the loss of the coral completely via dips in revive.

however since then I have not lost any other coral and I have a number of Euphyllia and Brains as well as SPS and a number of softies, ZOA, Pally and fluffy ears.

I must however mention that I do suspect the cheeky guys have been harassing my Goniopora but strangely not all of them. I have kept two in the tank that are always extended however the one I have had to rehouse in the refugium.

They way I see it, the R695 I paid for the elegance was cheap to have my tank completely cleared of Aiptasia. I suspect the Elegance has a different perspective on the whole thing. ;0

Recent Posts