Aiptasia Alert: Guys please take heed when buying LR in CPT

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Sammy, 17 May 2012.

1. Sammy

Sammy

This is just a warning to all newbies when buying LR from a certain LFS in CPT. I obviously cannot mention names, but when buying just scrutinize properly.

I've now met 2 reefers recently with an aiptasia outbreak, both bought their LR from the same LFS :eek:

Last edited: 17 May 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Anytime you but LR there is a chance that you will get Aiptasia.... along with many other hitch hikers! No matter where you buy from.

The only way to avoid this sit you but base rock, or use dead Live Rock.

4. Meneer

Meneer

Injection with white vinegar via a 1ml injection & needle (Those used by diabetics)goes a long way.
    You can kill quite a few before being considered as a carbon doser :)

5. Ralphie

Ralphie

You cannot narrow it down to one LFS...Aiptasia are everywhere! on freshly imported corals etc and are often not noticed until a few months in the aquarium!

6. FransSny

FransSny

Have to agree here...I have had LR sprout aptasia after being outside in the sun for over a month

7. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

As my subject said, "Take heed" I've got a few pm's already, and all suffering with aiptasia about within 2 months from same LFS !!! I've not responded to these pm's with a yes or no, as I don't want to single a out a specific LFS.

This is not targeting any LFS but a warning to take care and when buying LR. Also LFS normally store LF in large tanks, adding a few rocks with an infestation will affect the whole tank, that just my opinion.

8. Ralphie

Ralphie

I understand what you are saying, however, I work in an LFS in Durban and I have an outbreak now and then with aiptasia in my LR and coral tanks,many other LFS share this "problem", being a Marine Aquarist we are all aware that it is virtually impossible to rid of these pests! So your 1 un-named LFS in CPT is not the only guy with Aiptasia..

9. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi Andre - Mayby you can put a pic of apptasia and a caption telling noobs what to keep an eye out for, it whould be better as a educational means of helping them.

I dont think saying ,watch out for apptasia is good enough ,as a noob doesnt know what it looks like in the first place.

But the LFS part in CT. was a good eye catcher ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 17 May 2012
  10. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. crispin

crispin

i am often amazed at how some think that ALL hitchikers are negative and that LR is bad news because you might (MIGHT!!) get an undersirable hitchiker.

LR is still the best form of biological filtration we know. It still has the best structural integrity vs porosity we know. It still has the highest difference in biological filtration and greatest number of bacteria strains we know. LR is still the primary source of filtration and habitat to bacteria in almost every sustainable marine system.

Of all the hitchikers one might get (there are too many to know, and way too many to name) the benificials way outweigh the negative hitchikers. Just for a kick i went to count things in my tank which live on my live rock and which i never introduced. 73 different organisms, although that does include 4 aptasia and 3 mantis shrimp which i have removed from the aquarium over its current three year live span. The fact that the list has 70 desirable things I can actually see vs 3 undersirables, will always lead me to say thank you for all the free hitchikers I get with decent LR and no thanks to white bleached cement leaching chemicals into my tank in the form of base rock.

just my opinion, naturally.

12. rakabos

rakabos

Aiptasia is not cool, but hardly the end of the world. Show me a reef tank without some and I will be very impressed. Chemical control once a month is all it takes. You will never get rid of it completely.

As far as problem lifeforms in your tank there are WAY worse things, such as bryopsis

13. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

the fact that there are so many "kickstart marine" options out there ie. stability,prodibio etc... why is it still a necesity to purchase live rock when you STILL have to cycle it????

why not just buy dead lr or base rock

*IT COSTS CHEAPER
    *IT CAN BE SEADED WITHOUT ACTUAL LIVEROCK
    *NO HITCHIKERS ie.CRABS,APTASIA ETC

JUST MY 2C

14. rakabos

rakabos

Yup, my view also

15. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

What i also want to bring to the "SPONSORS" attention is the fact that very little(i speak for ct lfs's) of the lfs's offer base/dead rock

with the economy bein so poor and the fact that marines on the whole is a very expensive hobby,people would like the idea of getting "cheaper options" as aposed to the general lr prices which imo is very highly priced,since the cheaper 'kenyan lr' is off the market

16. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

Come and see mine, and seen lots and lots of tanks aiptasia free !!!!

17. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

my 2m reef was also aptasia free... i guess we should count ourselves as the lucky few :lol:

funny enough, my little reef tank was recently started with 'only base rock' and yet one day i saw aptaisia on a rock,i quickly eliminated it,but it may have been a hitchiker on a coral or frag.So it just shows how easy these buggers tend to travel unoticed....

18. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

Yes and that I can vouch for !

19. Hails

Hails

aiptasia-x works wonders, but has to be used every couple months.

20. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

IT WORKS, but its a waste of time and money when patients and correct observation could prevent it... hence this thread

21. Broder

Broder Mudshark

I just want to add that's also environmentally a better option, as reefs are not ripped up to pander to our hobby.

Recent Posts