Aiptasia ¿%&@$*!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Tiger eye, 1 Apr 2012.

1. Tiger eye

Tiger eye

You have no idea the fight that i have with aptasia. I dont know what to do and aptasia x does not work and there is so much debating around peperment shrimps and copperbands that im scared to spend that amount of money and have it backfire on me. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiger eye

Tiger eye Thread Starter

Sorry the lights went of befor i got more pics. But there are litery hundreds.

4. rakabos

rakabos

Anybody who claims they can eradicate Aiptasia in a tank is living in a dream world. You will NEVER get rid of it.

Copperbands and peppermints work in a sense that you dont see the aiptasia anymore as they go into hiding. They dont physically eat them all up, cuz its impossible once they retract into the rock where they stay until it is safe. The spores are in the water, on the rocks, everywhere. You just dont know it.

So all doom and gloom? Not really. Like i said you wont get rid of them, the best you can do is control the population. I have tried them all, aiptasia x, kalk, boiling water and recently Joe's juice. The latter of which seems to have been the best. Aiptasia X is completely useless imho. You spray it on, and 2 days later its back. With Joe's juice I have not had a single anemone return where i sprayed it.

So for me its a question of once a month or whenever, just kill all the ones I see and live with the fact that I have 90% control (at best) over what happens in my tank.

5. maj

maj

i recently found some aiptasia in my tank aswell,whatever LR i saw the aiptasia on,i removed the rocks,took out about 30kgs of rock.

im assuming this will kill them off? then just place them in the tank rock by rock over a gradual process

6. Tiger eye

Tiger eye Thread Starter

I also found that with Aiptasia X they come back in about 2 days or so (whith a vengence). but ill give Joe's Juice a go and see what hapens. Thanks for the advice. Does any boddy els have some advice? BTW is Joe's juice safe for corals? Alot of the Aiptaisia is groing on or directly next to coral.

7. Ralphie

Ralphie

Agreed with Rakabos! You will never rid of them!
    Joes Juice is a winner to "try" control them, or remove the rock and burn the aptasia with a lighter (only small rocks obviously) or mix up a solution of kalkwasser, salt and RO water, works for me the same as joes juice..

8. rakabos

rakabos

It will kill coral it comes in contact with. I kill unwanted polyps this way

9. durleo

durleo

I have tried kalk paste but I had some Brightwells Kalk +2 and it worked wonders. i just turned off all pumps for an hour and then used a syringe to apply the paste over the entire anenome. I have never seen an anenome return. Just be careful and do a few rocks a day cause the Kalk +2 is very strong and will cause a PH spike.

Recent Posts