Ahoy!!

Reaction score
Ahoy Everyone!!

Another newbie from "slaapstad"! Just hooked up on MASA a while back and haven't stopped learning. I picked up my first tank this morning.

I decided to go with a Nano due to space constraints. I would've wanted to go much bigger but just couldn't. So I set up my tank this morning and tomorrow I'll go pick up some LR. Now the waiting game starts.

Later,
J.

Welcome, as you said, waiting game, rather take it slow than rush everything and have it all die.

PS We love pics, sometime of the tank too...LOL (seriously pics of the tank are gr8)

Welcome to MASA :)
please tell us more about your tank.and we love pics ;)

Not much to tell at this point as I only set it up today. I'll start with the LR tomorrow. I've got all the patience in the world, the wife not though...

Good stuff Jaak. Take photo's all the way through, will be a cool reference to what you've come from.

One bit of advice, get the BEST quality live rock you can afford! (This is especially convenient in a small nano as we buy far less rock than those with bigger tanks). Speak to Obi-Wan, I just got some awesome rock from him and he's in CT. :thumbup:

Thans Matt,

As a matter of interest. What are my limitations in terms of the amount of LR. Should I start with 10kg, 15kg,etc? I know that I won't be able to put loads of fish in this tank. I just want to make sure it's all well balanced.

J.

Well this is a bit of a debatable one. ;) This is my opinion on it:

Generally more live rock = more filtration capacity.

However there are other factors to consider. Firstly, the more porous the rock, the better it is for filtration. This is why some rock is cheaper per kg than others as it is far denser and thus not as effective than filtration.

Also one can have TOO much live rock. If there is so much rock in the tank it will cause dead spots in the tank and hinder effective flow, this will also lead to problems.

Saying that, I think the rock in my tank is my BEST form of filtration. I have a 130L Nano (34G JBJ Nano cube) and I have appx 16kg of high quality live rock in it.

How big is your tank?

Everything you mentioned about LR is kind of what I was thinking. I have a 14ol Buyo TL550. My local LFS has somy Fiji Lr and some Bali LR. I'm interested in some of the pieces not all though. I'd rather buy daily than just shove a whole lot of crap into the tank. If it was up to my wife we'd have fish, softies, etc in the tank already!!

Jaak: I have the TL-550 too, NB its 128L not 140. So with rock and sand etc you'll probably have just over 100L of actual water.

In terms of rock, if you can afford it put all the rock in at once. Thus the tank can cycle and stabilize. Remember if you add rock at a later date that is not fully cured you will cause a mini cycle.

In the TL-550 i'd look at getting appx 15kg. Here's a pic of my TL-550 and my live rock:
555484136cb0a10b.jpg

Also you're quite right about taking your time and not stocking the tank too quickly, but this doesn't apply to putting live rock in to cycle it. As I said if you can afford it I would suggest buying all the liverock you'll need.

Thats my opinion ;)

Nice aqua scaping there matt! Cool, i'll see if I can get to a LFS with decent LR in CPT asap. Nobody seems to have loads of stock at present. I don't suppose you have any suggestions of where I should try and go look tomorrow?

Jaak send a message to Obi-Wan: He says he's understocked too, yet has over 1000kg of quality rock on him at the moment! He's also in CT so if I was you i'd definitely get from him. I'm in JHB and I got him to fly some up for me! Cool man ;)

jaak whois your local LfS?

Ahoy Henk,

There are a few. Panorama Petshop in Parow - thier equipment and products are priced very well. Then there's Northern Aquatics in Bothasig and then closer to home is Aquatic Pets in Table View. I've also been to Aquatic Concept's new premises in Northagte Island. Tomorrow I'm keen to go check out Sam's in Bergvliet and aQuality in Montague gardens as I'm still hunting for loads more LR. I only picked up 5.5Kg's of Kenyan Lr today at Aquatic Pets as he didn't have much more.
Who's your local LFS?

Last edited:
Welcome to MASA, enjoy your new setup, just take it slow :wave2:

Welcome Jaak. Hey Matt your tank really starting to show her blue blood.

I buy 99% of my live stock from Aqua Concepts. Pumps etc from Nico at Panorama. aQuality has amazing LR. I would stay away from Kenya LR and rather use bio rock for the base and expensive LR ontop....

Back
Top Bottom