Urgent help needed aggressive algae

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by jra406, 13 May 2014.

1. jra406

jra406

[FONT=&quot]Hi guys,

I have had some form of algae in my tank that is taking over and is now really hitting corals hard. It started out as brownish colored algae that was growing on the substrate and it has just exploded in the past 3 weeks. It now covers all rocks and is impacting all the corals, both softies and SPS. In the mornings when lights come on there is hardly any of the algae visible on the sand, it gets worse over the day. Nothing changed in the tank that I can think of - all parameters were consistent month to month. My Rose bubble tip that had been in the same spot for the past 1.5 years happy as can be then wandered under a ledge 3 weeks ago (the same time the algae appeared) and proceeded to die over the following 3-4 days.

Tank 2 years old, has never had any major problems and all water parameters have been consistent over the past year really. All tests done with Red Sea Pro test kits. plenty of flow with 2 Korilia 7s. Tunze skimmer. Chaeto in sump. (added about 4 months ago). Fish seem fine, corals just taking a beating.

800L
    (all the below are normal for my tank month to month) I know that PO4 is too high, I am trying to work down slowly)
    PH 8.1
    NO3 2 (it is always at 2)
    KH 7.8
    PO4 .36 (this has dropped from .64 over the past few months)
    Mg 1360
    Ca 400
    salinity 1.024
    temp 25
    iodine .06
    Lights on- 9am-830pm (blue lights only sunrise and sunset 1 hour before and after)

What I have done recently -
    150L water change 5 weeks ago
    1L Phosgaurd in 2 separate bags 7 days ago (this would be why the PO4 has dropped)
    Daily blowing of all rocks with turkey baster (normally done weekly)
    Bio Cubes (almost exausted however)

Anyone know what this is and why so aggressive and if there is anything else I can do? The Phosgaurd appears to be absorbing the PO4 and I know there will be more locked in the rocks...but it seems strange to me that this hit so hard and so fast.

uploading pics on next post
    [/FONT]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Riaanv

Riaanv

By the none in the morning gets worse quick it sounds like dinoflagellates. Are your snails dying/falling off rocks? If they are it is a sure sign. Had the same issue for months. Added biocubes, GFO, syphoned out, water changes and a one day lights out on a few occasions and eventually beat it. As a last resort I was gonna consider a 3 day all lights out which kills it from what I read. It gave out after phos at 0 on hanna for a period of three weeks.

4. Haaibek

Haaibek

Sounds like diatoms, need a pic,. Can happend in any mature tank.nyou can beat this, there is a aggressive way tovget ris of it, corals will suffer llittle but can recover afterwords.

5. JohanB

JohanB

Your PO4 was too high at 0.64. The algae is using it as well so it could in reality be even higher.
    The new phosguard will probably help but you need to get it to almost undetectable before you need to look at any other possible reasons.
    Test your top up water for phosphates, it should be 0.
    My phosphate media usually works quite quickly in my reactor. Check if your new media is not depleted already. It normally swells up and goes brown/yellow more when depleted.
    You probably have a big reserve of phosphates in you tank that you need to decrease over time.
    Do you have normal bio cubes or the ones that work without needing phosphates ?

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

a picture would help but either a diatom bloom or more likley cyano bacteria. increase flow in and skim wet! monitor feeding and make sure there is no excess food laying around which is able to decay.

its basically an imbalance which the algae is stepping up to help irradicate from the system. trace it to the sorce and the algae wont appear.

7. jra406

jra406 Thread Starter

Trying to upload pics again...

2014-05-12 18.06.53.jpg

2014-05-12 18.21.39.jpg

2014-05-13 21.08.11.jpg

2014-05-13 21.08.25.jpg

8. jra406

jra406 Thread Starter

just checked the snails and all look fine for now...

9. jra406

jra406 Thread Starter

Tested top up water for TDS...TDS is 0, didn't test for PO4 however. Just checked Phosban and it is still white (1L is a lot of media)...normal bio cubes (yes they are almost all used up, need to got to Jungle to get more). I know that PO4 is too high, like I mentioned it has been that high for over 8 months and can't really get down (my NO3is typically always at 2, never goes higher, never goes lower). The PO4 is the lowest it has been in a while - but then the Chaeto is growing and 1L of Phosban should help drop it.

10. jra406

jra406 Thread Starter

changed skimming to nice and wet (cup filling up weekly) and cut back on feeding a few weeks ago...

11. jra406

jra406 Thread Starter

And no, my rocks are not normally brown and fuzzy ;)

12. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Agree with the guys in here. Your PO4 is a tad high. Firstly make 100% sure your tests kits are accurate. Then add more bio cubes to your tank. Thirdly, siphon out as much of the diatoms you have over a few days by doing small water changes, this will decrease your nutrients further. For now, decrease your time of the lights, switch them on at 12 and then off at 8:30.
    PO4 media does exhaust fairly rapidly in tanks with high PO4.
    Give it time and it will disappear.
    Any LS die, missing and anyone in the tank.

13. jra406

jra406 Thread Starter

Perfect, will give it a go - will add more bio cubes, cut down light times for a few days, change out the phosguard and vacuum the tank a few times.

14. Frigment

Frigment

Here's a link on reducing phosphates. Personally I boost the cal/mag/alk levels as well as get my pH up to 8.4 and that precipitates the phosphates out of my water.
    It worked for my mad hair algae problem(which went on so long I almost quit the hobby). I know it's different algae, but they all like phosphates and nitrates.
    Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

15. jra406

jra406 Thread Starter

Thanks for that @Frigment - that is a good article. Read other stuff from him but not that one before.

General update on tank...algae is reducing but still persistent. Replaced my Phosguard when PO4 levels quit dropping at .16. Going to test again tonight. More of my SPS is getting killed off...hopefully it can recover when this is done.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. jra406

jra406 Thread Starter

can anyone tell me what this algae is?

Can anyone tell me what this algae is? It is slowly dying off, but it has been a bugger to get rid of. It has taken out a good number of my corals along the way.

Recent Posts