against all odds! yet doing well

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mandarinman, 4 Sep 2012.

1. mandarinman

mandarinman

If you have a tank that has been running for a while and is set up differently to the norm but is successful please post pics of what you have, how long you have been running your tank and what your maintenance regime is. Please also explain the logic behind what you do. Ps this is not an invitation to be attacked but rather for us all to learn! No attacking allowed . Only constructive observTions.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nur

Nur Starz

My Tank has been up for 20months, no Sump running on 2 Dophin Cannisters and a BH2000 skimmer. Tank is still going strong, so far the only time i have an issue is when i do something stupid. For example a couple of months back i added Chemi Clean, dosed less than what was prescribed, but still managed to clear out all my sps!

A day before it happens @Ayoob and @guppy where there to collect some frags and all was fine.
    I had some cyano very little on substrate decided to do something about it, i notices it after returning from holiday. I was lazy and went chemical (Stupid) instead of just doing water changes and so on.. So i dosed the Chemi Clean, had alot of die off and as stated above lost all sps.

As a result of the die off my nitrates and phosphates were sky high, thankfully it has been on the decline now and becoming stable at an acceptable level. All LS is well, except for the SPS. After the params stabilizing i have added a small SPS frag and it seems to be doing well with some growth and polyp extension.

I dont have updated Pics, but you are more than welcome to have a look at my thread..

Yours in Reefing,
    Nur

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Nice thread, had a very different tank when I came back to marines two years ago. Then I started to read tons, learnt tons, and changed the whole way I keep marines.

It was very different 20 years ago, I even had a protein skimmer that had a air stone suspended at the bottom of skimmer to make it work, bio balls, crushed coral with under gravel filter, TONS of GHA with very HIGH NO3.
    Also use to go through additives and filter floss like tomorrow would never end.

5. Nur

Nur Starz

oh forgot about dosing regiment, i do weekly 100l WC. I previously used home brewed aditives for Mg and KH. But now moved to Seachem Reef Fusion 1 and 2. This i dose 20ml of each every 2nd day, and i am using Red Sea NO3 PO4 x, which is doing wonders bringing the params down at a steady but not too rapid pace..

Recent Posts