RSS Advocacy group started to recall Waveline pumps for falsifying UL listing

Discussion in 'RSS Feeds' started by MASA Admin, 23 Aug 2013.

1. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

An advocacy group has started an online petition directly targeted at Waveline Variable Speed DC Pumps for allegedly falsifying Underwriter Laboratories certification on its products. According to the website and a letter from the UL investigative team, the Waveline DC-5000 is not listed as a device the governing body had listed on its certified products.

We don’t know what led the person behind the petition to investigate the UL mark on the product but according to a letter only the DC-5000 was brought into question and therefore the UL marking has been removed from the company website and product boxes. The company is still listing the CE mark so they are up to par with compliance standards in Europe.

Over the years many different types of pumps and aquarium devices have failed due to manufacturing defects, user error or just happenstance and we haven’t heard of Waveline pumps being prone to failure because of this erroneous listing. However, the person behind the petition seems to think they were duped into buying a product that is less than what was presented by the company.

Certainly organizations like the UL and CE help to give us a sense that these products were built with integrity and should not fail under normal circumstances so we like to make sure these are legitimate marks. We weren’t able to get comment from RLSS on why this happened. It could have been an oversight on its end or just an assumption, either way the marks have been removed from the website and on product boxes.

<h4 class='related_post_title'>Readers also viewed:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click here to read the article...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zandy

Zandy

Damn and i have one of these pumps:(

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Seems a bit petty to start a recall cause of a false listing, seeing as it has the CE marking. Why not just get the pump tested and get the right UL marking?

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I read yesterday that there is also an issue on the controllers and that they are busy fixing the software behind it and will then have to roll out the new controllers to existing customers.

The problem that people are having is that when they run the pumps as returns and on lower settings, they don't get any flow at certain head heights. So they have to run the pump on the highest 2 settings about before they get any flow. Waveline has said that its not a problem on the actual pump but the controller.

I saw on another forum a guy posted that the head height of the DC5000 pump is only around 1.2m on it lowest setting.

6. Furbz

Furbz

i have 2 of these pumps... my return and 1 in my skimmer.
    cant say mine have been an issue, they are the quietest pumps i've owned and run incredibly well
    but i will be following this thread with interest!

Last edited: 23 Aug 2013
  7. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

@Furbz, can you give some more info with regards to the one you use for return pump. I would like to know pump model, setting you are running it on and the head height to the display. And what happens when you run it on lower settings?

This would really help a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Furbz

Furbz

no problem,

i'll check that all when i get home.
    the setup is still very new. i dont even have a thread out for it yet!

9. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Hi Marius,

I am using the Waveline DC 5000 as a return pump. Head height to display is about 1.7m. I have set my controller on 4 (out of 6) and flow is good. When I set it higher my skinny overflow cannot accommodate the volume.

When I used the DC 3000 set at 100% the flow was a lot weaker than my DC 5000 at 4/6.

10. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Thanks. And if you run the DC5000 on levels lower than 4, say 2-3? Do you still get flow into the display albeit very slow?

11. Zandy

Zandy

Hi i am running the DC5000 pump as return on setting 2, and have head height of about 1.7m as well. I have a slow flow (return)

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Thanks for the feedback.

Recent Posts