advise

Reaction score
advise needed i have never used ozone now what i need to know is i want to connect outlet pipe to skimmer, can i put the air pipe to the skimmer silencer or must the pipe be under the water directly onto the venturer pipe on the skimmer pump intake. any advise from the people in the know

I am planning on using ozone as well and have done quite a bit of research on the subject. As for your question goes, it should be connected to the pumps ventury under the water at the pumps intake. Just a word of caution, you need to use tubing that can handle the O3 as it will erode the pipe in no time, you need to use a skimmer that can handle ozone and you need to place carbon (charcoal) around all the outlets of air and water to neutralize the ozone that it doesn't enter your system or pollutes the air with ozone as it is very harmful and can cause serious health issues. All and all it has a lot of positives and well worth it. If you can, rather look at getting a ozone reactor, safer and more efficient. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I think i am safe with the skimmer as its a JNS U6,as for the pipe its the thick silicon one used on the Hailea 800 unit before, thanks for the advise, ps i am running a carbon reactor anyway

Last edited:
Carbon reactor is not the right thing for Ozone. The air coming out of the skimmer should go through a carbon filter.

ATI skimmers got 2 venturi connections. One for normal air inflow from their silencer. the other for a ozone connection.

Ozone breaks down very fast. If is extremely unstable and will react as quickly as possible with whatever it can. Unless you run a ozone unit at maximum on a small skimmer, you hardly would need the carbon on top of the skimmer.

Ozone smells funny. So no smell around the skimmer and you are safe. In fact ozone does not have a smell at all. What you do smell is your slime layer inside your nose reacting to the ozone, breaking down. Would irritate your eyes as well.

Running ozone with an ORP controller is also advised. Although here I found that the normal Hailea units set at 25 do not produce enough ozone to ever increase the ORP reading high enough for ORP unit to switch on and off. It was running constantly. This was however on a 750L system. And on my current 3.2m system the same. Note that my purpose for using ozone is for DOC removal. If you do run it on a small tank or hospital system and for pathogens removal, controlling whitespot and other nasties. I strongly advise the use of an ORP controller.

For best results you need an air dryer between the air pump and ozone generator. To remove excess moisture before entering the generator. Else they simply would not last a year. If you can setup the airpump away from the sump area, that would help to reduce the moisture content entering.

ozone

Thanks Ryaan i am running it on my 3 meter system so i will run 24 seven set it on ten for two weeks then increase to 15 for two weeks until i am on 25 what do you think regards Rick

Sounds good.

How are you connecting the airline to the skimmer?

ozone

Sounds good.

How are you connecting the airline to the skimmer?

yes ryaan i am connecting it to a jns u6 skimmer put the silicon airline outlet from the unit through the skimmer silencer box doen through the skimmer airpipe right down into the venturer of the skimmer is this correct

ow thick is the JNS intake line?

Does sound good.

ow thick is the JNS intake line?

Does sound good.

Well the airline tube fits through it but as you know that skimmer has two bubble blaster pumps but all is good running it 24 seven set on ten on the ozone unit do you think i should leave it there all the time or increase every two weeks until i get to 25 ? its a two thousand liter system

Ozone is a very hotly debated topic as many people believe many benefits associated with ozone can easily be achieved by using activated carbon. Some benefits are: increased water charity, increased skimmer performance, less smell given of by tank water. But ozone also has health hazards if not used properly...

Back
Top Bottom