advise

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by rickgoldwing1, 20 Mar 2014.

1. rickgoldwing1

rickgoldwing1

good day to all question I have just set up a new 2 metre tank planning on a full reef setup now as you get older your memory is not so good what would you recommend are the first fish to introduce to a new set up ???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

First fish should be something that is "cheap" but "durable"

Many do not like blue yellow tail damsel. But they are bulletproof. If you kill them, then you got a serious issue. In a 2m tank with enough hiding place 2 would be 100% OK with each other. Each will claim a spot of about 30 square cm that he will protect. In that size tank, you got more than enough space for anyone to get away.

Ocealaris Clowns alternative.

4. the fish

the fish

can also get false percula clowns. they are also very hardy.

5. Zandy

Zandy

Just remember once you have a yellow tail damsel they are there for good !!! lol.... can't even catch mine !

6. captainNewbie

captainNewbie

Hi. I bought my tank recently as a recovering running setup that had about 10kg of rock that use to be live rock. Tank has cycled again has 1 yellow tail damsel 1 lawnmower blenny 1 chromis 2 clowns 1 cleaner shrimp 1 fire shrimp. Ok since I had the tank I changed ligths to 2 10k T5s and 2 actinics al are 54w. Some of the rock are getting a redish pinkish colour on them. So I though ok I need more rocks so I added 21kg of marco rock in tank did not see any spikes in nitrites or nitrates. Now my question is is that pink colour the coraline algea that I want or are my rock just rocks lol. Haven't seen any colour on marco rock yet but only been in about 2 weeks. Is this where I just need to have patience or do I need to get some reel good live rock. Can I just add the lr or wil that cause my tank to cycle al over again. Sorry if its a dumb question lol really don't want anything to kill of my fish and shrimp. Thanks.

7. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

You would want to cycle the rock in a drum just like you would a new aquarium. When the ammonia and nitrite are zero you can then add the rock into your display. This is why I did.

The pink stuff on your rock could be coralline or cyano. Need a pic.

Introduce yourself to us by starting a new members thread.:m106:
    Click on this link: New Members - Marine Aquariums South Africa

8. JS

JS

You already have the marco rocks in...so dont worry too much now...clean base rocks like marco rocks will just affect the alk a little as it "cures"...it doesnt have life in it...so you dont have to worry about ammonia or nitrite spikes...as there is nothing on them that can die...the 10kg live rock will seed them...just relax and let the bacteria colonise them.

Recent Posts