advise on wiring equipment

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by 4age, 7 Jan 2014.

1. 4age

4age

Hi guys

I need some assistance regarding the wiring on my tank. I have never been an ace at it but after a shocking experience a month or two ago with a faulty wavemaker I have been wanting to make some changes.....which has been sped up now after the last two days

Monday morning I came to the tank,and something smelled like it was burning. took a look around, and remembered a story about someone having a faulty boyu wave controller that burnt out..checked mine and it was very hot. I immediately disconnected it and removed all four wm3 pumps from my tank.

I later added the jebao wp40 to the tank to replace the boyu wm3s.everything else seemed fine yesterday. This morning I again encountered that something was burning, and im not sure what it could be as I checked all the equipment.power hasn't tripped.

I am running all my equipment off one multiplug which is plugged into an extension cord as the wall plug is around the corner, about 4m away from the tank.

my dad is of the opinion that all the equipment is pulling too much power which the multiplug cant handle. what options do I have to fix this? space is also an issue.

I am currently running the following equipment

1 aquamedic OR3500 pump

1 300watt jager

1 jebao wp 25

1 jebao wp 40

1 sunsun wavemaker

1 marine magic doser

1 aquamedic atu

1 askol pump on the powerlab skimmer

1 dual 54w t5 unit

2 x 85watt intellisun led units

im not sure if its too much for a normal multiplug to handle. as a temporary solution I ran half the equipment off another plug via an extention lead, and everything is fine so far

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. cknipe

cknipe

My guess is it would be too much.

Take the max WATT rating of all your equipment (it's printed on the labels), and add it together. Your heaters and LED units (from what you gave) uses a combined total of 470W. 470W divided by 220V AC (your main supply) gives an amp usage of 2.1A

As soon as you start adding all those other things up - you will see that the current that you draw from that one plug, will get very high (my guess is it will more than double). Anything over 5A in usage, should require special care...

1) Use shorter wires or leads where you can,
    2) Use thicker wires or leads where you can,
    3) Use more than one house plug, and more than one multi-plug too

Eventually, the wires WILL melt, and it will either cause a short and trip your earth leakage or other breakers, or worse, start a fire.

4. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Defenately touch and go with the over loading of the multiplug

Only solution is to wire some plug points with ridge electrical wire from an existing plug point
    This wire is designed to handle higher amp draw and will allow you to distribute the load

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I don't think its an overload of the multiplug. I used to run 1000W of lights off of one and never encountered any issues. Take a portable aircon or heater for example, you can run that on a multiplug and even if its the only device on the plug it will draw up to 10Amps if not more depending on its size.

6. 4age

4age Thread Starter

I am definitely concerned about possible wires melting or causing a fire. @DeanT..where can I get ridge wire? I want to get it sorted and done neatly

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

you can use the wite they use for stoves, builders sell it by the meter.

8. cknipe

cknipe

Yes, you can do up to 15A on a plug safely. You can't do it on a 22AWG or 1mm conductor however. What you will notice is that the heater (which easily can pull 10A yes), has a MUCH thicker electrical cable, in order to dissipate the heat generated and therefore not have the cables melt.

2.5mm Twin & Earth which is used to wire plugs, is rated up to 25A. 1.5mm twin & earth used generally to wire light circuits, is rated up to 15A. This is because it is a single copper conductor. Then there are also the SABS electrical standards, which states that you cannot pull more than 15A from one plug circuit (i.e. one "plug" breaker in your DB). If your house burns down, your insurance company will just refuse to pay out.

When you talk multi plugs and extension cords, you are talking about a stranded conductor of which the strands are a mere 0.2mm - if you're lucky. The high current through that small conductor will cause it to heat up, and eventually melt. Run your air conditioner through a 0.5mm flex cable, or a piece of CAT5 cabling, see what happens :biggrin:
    @4age - would be more than happy to come and help you out one weekend sometime if you want... I may actually have some 4mm twin & earth at home - just need to purchase a few boxes and plugs from your side.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Where is the Boyu controller? Still laying around close to the tank? Might have smell that again? Even when plugged out. Especially if the smell was a lot more faint.

Also had one that burnt out many moons ago.

10. 4age

4age Thread Starter

I removed controller so wasnt that. Suspect it could be the lead

11. DeanT

DeanT Dean

@4age
    Listen to @cknipe
    Seems like he knows what he talking about

Multiplugs and extensions are not clever

Unknown from experience
    When using them they kept tripping my power and also ended up burning through extension cables

Rather do the electrics properly, playing with electricity is no joke

Recent Posts