Advise on what to buy

Reaction score
Tank about 500l and 3 months old. Tank never cycled so had fish for 10 weeks already. All good, but need some soft coral. Looking to start with nice soft coral, easy to keep and not too expensive. What should I start with? Also, keen on getting an anenomi with clowns. when should I do this and what type of anenomi?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Killer,

Easy starter soft corals - mushrooms, zoalanthids, leathers and toadstools, some lps are quite forgiving such as Euphylia (hammer coral)

Nems are very delicate, they need a mature stable tank so wait at least 9-12months before you get one, i would go for an entacmaea quadricolour or a hecteractis magnifica or crispa.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Any specific shrooms wee man ?
Not sure what colours you can get, but i like the red ones (i'm sure Henk has some) a deep blue one and the water melon ones, failing that closed cup, gently fried in butter, next to a nice juicy fillet steak.;)

Reaction score
right up my alley but you gotta come over here for a propper fillet. Yours are really not good.Never been able to find a good steak over there.

Reaction score
Howzit. Got aragonite in, about 4cm deep. about 25kg live rock, water from 2 oceans. octopus skimmer - 1000lph. 2 astra powerheads, UV unit, 3 x T5 hopar lights (2 x blue and 1 x white) + T8. Got room for 1 more T5 so I'll get another white but my lighting is actually very good. My tank has been a dream. Ive got 2 cleaner shrinp, coral beuaty, 2 blue streak gobies, star fish and sea urchin. Lost a bicolor angel(within 10 hours) and lost a couple clowns that wouldnt eat. Other than that perfect. For 3 months since day 1 my salinity and ph perfect, never had any nitrites or nitrates. Been adding ph buffer + trace elements for 2 weeks so ready for a few softies. Ive got a tube worm and 4 red mushrooms growing on some live rock, just really wanting an anenomi. Ive been told 3 months is ok to get one?

Reaction score
Ild recommend a BubbleTip. Your lighting would be fine for it. Its also the easiest out of the anemones (In my experience) to care for. And if your adamant on adding one soon before the tank is given time to mature a bit, then just make sure you pay special attention to its health and feeding patterns.