Advise on upgrading to a bigger tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mandrin, 13 Feb 2012.

1. mandrin

mandrin

;)
    Hi guys i currently have a 37 Litre Aquaria tank been running for 8 months
    so i have now decided on gettin the aquaria 120 litre
    was thinkin to cycle my new tank
    gettin some live rock and a small dsb just to run for a small 2 weeks then add my fish in every week and then start with the corals and lastly the live rock and sand from old tank ,,,,is this a good idea .....any suggestions...ps i am new to hoobbby onli 8 months guys;)
    was also thinking of gettin some mature water from a friend of mine :thumbup:
    suggestions
    thanks guys u rock ;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

You can start your cycle in the new tank and when it's complete which means when your ammonia is zero you can add yout livestock from your old tank with no problem. Just make sure the live rock in the new tank is added in the beginning of the cycle so it matures. If youre going to cycle the tank there is no need to use a friends water. You can add bacteria like prodibio and stalility to boost the bacterial counts. It beats lugging water around and the bacteria added is far more than your friends water will ever hold. When you want to move your animals across to the new tank, drip them well over a period of hours so they adapt to the new water

4. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

thanks tony
    so when can i add the live rock anx dsb from my old tank to fhe new one
    along wif the live rock and.cheato from.my mini refuguim

5. Tony

Tony

Once your new tank has cycled you can add your live rock. If the rock has corals attached I would place them in a container and drip them along with your fish and corals. You can drip them by adding one cup of new tank water to your corals and removing one cup of the tank water your corals and fish are being held in. Do this for about two hours.

I personally wouldnt add your old DSB to the new tank as you could get an ammonia spike from the crap kicked up. You can add the chaeto to the new tank once it has cycled

6. Tony

Tony

I should have added that you do the one cup in and one cup out every five to ten minutes depending on how much water you are holding your corals and fish in. If its a lot of water then the change in water parameters from the old to new will be much slower than less water

7. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

hi Tony thanks.sorry for the million questions
    if i use mature water from a friend wat.would the process be wud it be anu different
    i picked up my tank today ....jus waitin for my stand get a guy to glavnise me a new one
    veru excited ....i thought of usin friends mature water
    with cured new live rock from LFS cycle for 2weeks then add live rock frpm old tank
    then drip process for live stock and corals ....ps wanted.to use old dsb cause
    of all the criters in there

Last edited: 14 Feb 2012
  8. Tony

Tony

No problem. The thing would be to fetch the water and use it asap. You dont want to store it. Tank water contrary to popular belief is low in bacteria because a lot of it is skimmed out. If you use Red sea salt it is extremely high in bacteria because it is made from evaporated sea water. The bacteria become dormant and reactivate once mixed with water again.

Do the bacteria additions to seed your tank with high bacteria populations along with vodka dosing at a dosage of 1ml per 100 litres of water. I cycled a tank in a day with prodibio biodigest and amguard and added all my livestock with no issues. I dont suggest this but just to give you an idea of how well those products work. If you really want to use your old DSB, just use the top layer which you add slowly to your tank. This will house all the critters and pods without causing an ammonia spike.

If the LR is cured from the pet shop and you trust this person then there is already a lot of bacteria on the rock which will help the cycle along. The vodka will feed the bacteria speeding up the cycle.

When your ammonia is zero, move your stuff across and get an ammonia neutraliser just in case. Feed extremely lightly and test your ammonia to see that your filter is coping with the added bio load

Keanan likes this.
  9. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

ok Tony my friend close by like 30 min i will get the watsr.and use it the min
    i get home ....i will start this and add live rrock from the lfs and add new sand
    and will take the top layer as u suggested will let tank for a week then dril add my stock ...wile
    i constantly check parameters....
    will keep.u posted the min i start the process
    guess u have a awesume set up as well
    many thanks Tony

Last edited: 14 Feb 2012
  10. Tony

Tony

Dont leave your old tank running once you have upset the DSB as you may get an ammonia spike there. If you cant then make sure you have an ammonia test kit and ammonia neutraliser

Recent Posts